This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Silicon Particle Morphology on the Melting Mechanism of Aluminium Brazing Sheet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The microstructure and silicon particle morphology of Al-Si cladding alloys are known to influence brazing properties and the quality of brazed joints. This paper reviews published literature on Al-Si system, melting mechanisms, grain size, solid state silicon particle growth and the influence on brazed joint formation. Common filler metals used for brazing sheet were thermally treated to modify Si morphology. The resultant microstructures were examined and Differential Scanning Calorimetry used to establish thermodynamic properties. The impact of silicon concentration and particle morphology on the melting kinetics is discussed.
CitationHawksworth, D. and Gray, A., "The Influence of Silicon Particle Morphology on the Melting Mechanism of Aluminium Brazing Sheet," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2043, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2043.
- Anderson W A The Effects of Metallurgical Structure on the Brazing of Aluminium Phys. Metall. Met. Joining Proc. Symp. 1980 Metall. Soc. AIME Warrendale, PA
- Cotton F A Wilkinson G Advanced Inorganic Chemistry 4th 1980 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Guy A G Hren J J Elements of Physical Metallurgy 3rd 1974 Addison-Wesley
- Gray et al Alcan International Nocolok Brazing of High Strength Long Life Alloys AFC Holcroft Brazing Seminar 1998
- Hatch J E Aluminium: Properties and Physical Metallurgy 1984 American Society for Metals
- Hawksworth D K Schölin K Woods R Tube/fin fillet formation in CAB brazed condensers ImechE 2003 401
- Kobayashi K F Hogan L M The Crystal Growth of Silicon in Al-Si Alloys J Mater Sci. 20 11961 1985
- Mondolfo L F Aluminium Alloys: Structure and Properties 1974 Butterworths
- Murray J L McAllister A J Bull Alloy Phase Diagrams 5 1 February 1984
- Okamoto I Takemoto T Brazeability of Al-Si filler alloys with different compositions and microstructures Trans JWRI 10 1981 35 43
- Polmear I J Light Alloys - Metallurgy of the Light Metals. 2nd 1989 1993 Edward Arnold
- Shaples P Aluminium brazing problems due to grain size Welding Journal March 1975 164 169
- Songerath et al Materials Science Forum 217-222 1996 1721 1726
- Terril J R Cochran C N Stokes J J Haupin W E Understanding the Mechanisms of Aluminium Brazing Welding Journal December 1971 833 839
- Terrill J R Diffusion of Silicon in Aluminium Brazing Sheet Welding Journal 45 202s 209s 1966
- Wittebrood et al AFC Holcroft Brazing Seminar 1998
- Woods R A Robinson I B Flow of Aluminium Dip Brazing Filler Metals Welding Research Supplement October 1974 440 445
- Woods, R.A. Aluminium 54 1978 444