This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heat Transfer Analysis and Cycle Averaged Heat Flux Prediction by Means of CFD and its Validation for an IC-Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is demonstrated that the cycle averaged heat flux on the hot gas side of the cylinders can be obtained using in-cylinder CFD-analysis. Together with the heat transfer coefficients obtained using a multi zone model in the coolant jacket CFD-analysis a complete set of thermal boundary conditions were made available exclusively based on simulations. The engine metal temperatures could then be predicted using FEA and compared with the measured data. Good agreement was obtained with the experimental data. The methodology has potential for refinement and application of a higher resolution in future. Also 1-D codes are used to provide cooling circuit boundary conditions and gas exchange boundary condition to the CFD-models.
CitationEtemad, S., Stein, C., and Eriksson, S., "Heat Transfer Analysis and Cycle Averaged Heat Flux Prediction by Means of CFD and its Validation for an IC-Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2029, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2029.
- Etemad, S. and Sundén, B., “Turbulent Flow in a Rectangular-Sectioned Curved Duct”, HT-FED2004-56193, ASME Heat Transfer/Fluids Eng. Summer Conf., Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, 2004.
- Chen, Y.S. & Kim, S.W., “Computation of turbulent flows using an extended k-ε turbulence closure model”. NASA CR-179204, 1987.
- STAR-CD, 2004, “Methodology v3.20”, Computational Dynamics Limited, London, UK
- Wallesten, J., Lipatnikov, A. N. and Nisbeth, J., “Turbulent Flame Speed Closure Model: Further Development and Implementation for 3-D Simulation of Combustion in SI Engine”, SAE Paper No. 982613, 1998.
- Etemad, S., “Homogeneous Engine Cooling, An Efficient Cross-Cooling Strategy - CFD-Analysis And Measurements”, Paper No FEDSM2002-31099, Joint US ASME-European Fluids Engineering Summer Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2002.
- Etemad, S., Wallesten, J., Stein, C.F., Eriksson, S. and Johansson, K. “CFD-Analysis of Cycle Averaged Heat Flux and Engine Cooling in an IC-Engine”, SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0200, 2005.