This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Design Factors of the Combustion Chamber on Heat Balance in a Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Measuring technique of the cooling loss in a gasoline engine was developed. Using this technique, the effect caused by swirl and squish in the cylinder and the material around the cylinder head on heat balance was examined. It was clarified that the effect for the shaft output Qw is small, but the effect for cooling loss Qc is large when gas flow and head material are changed, and much portion of the change of Qc seems to convert in exhaust loss Qex. Cooling loss from the exhaust port Qp is estimated to occupy over 40 % of cooling loss in the cylinder head side Qh.
|Journal Article||Cylinder Head Intake Flow Analysis|
|Technical Paper||COMBUSTION CHAMBER AND CYLINDER DESIGN|
|Technical Paper||The Sliding Cylinder Head Gasket-A Solution for High-Duty Engines|
CitationMukai, K., Iijima, T., Miyazaki, H., and Yasuhara, S., "The Effects of Design Factors of the Combustion Chamber on Heat Balance in a Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2021, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2021.
- Eichelberg G., Some new investigations on old combustion engine problems, Engineering, vol. 198, 463, 1939.
- Annand W.J.D., Heat transfer in the cylinder of reciprocating internal combustion engines, Proc. Inst, Engrs., vol. 177, N0. 36. 973. 1963.
- Woschni G., A universally applicable equation for the instantaneous heat transfer cofficient in the internal combustion engine, SAE paper 670931, 1967.
- Annand W. J. D., and Pinfold D., Heat transfer in the cylinder of a motored reciprocating engine, SAE paper 800457, 1980.
- Yoshimoto Y., Tsukahara M., and Kuramoto T., Improvement of BSFC by reducing diesel engine cooling losses with emulsified fuel, SAE paper 962022, 1996.
- Shudo T., Nakajima Y., and Futakuchi T., Thermal efficiency analysis in a hydrogen premixed combustion engine, Automotive engineers of Japan, JSAE review 21, 2000, 177-182.
- Gill P.W., Smith J.H., and Ziurys E.J., Fundamentals of internal combustion engines. The united states naval institute Annapolis, Maryland, 1959.
- Obert E.F., Internal combustion engines 3rd edition, International textbook company, Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1968, 467-469.
- Mukai K., Miyazaki H., and Yasuhara S., Measuring technique of the cooling loss and the influence of the operating variables on heat balance in a gasoline engine, I Mech E, 2003 Vehicle management systems conference proceedings, 2003.
- Mukai K., and Miyazaki H., The influence of the combustion chamber head material of a gasoline engine on exhaust HC, SAE transactions Journal of engines, 2000-01-307, 2001.