This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Performance Evaluation of Automotive Air-Conditioning Heat Exchangers as Components and in Vehicle Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive heat exchangers play a crucial role in the operation of vehicles and comfort of the passengers. Significant advances have taken place in the CFD, FEA and other analyses of flow phenomena, heat transfer and pressure drop, structural integrity and durability of heat exchangers. In spite of these advances, the flow phenomena and structure of various heat exchangers are very complex. Hence, the industry still relies on the actual performance evaluation in controlled environment as components and as part of the system in addition to the road tests to qualify various heat exchangers used in a vehicle today.
In this paper, we describe the testing of automotive heat exchangers as components using the standalone test stands (component calorimeters) for condensers and evaporators, and provide references for testing radiators, heaters, oil coolers and charge air coolers. Subsequently, we focus on the air-conditioning (A/C) system heat exchangers and present the following testing related to systems: A/C system calorimeter testing, refrigerant charge determination for the A/C system, wind tunnel testing of the A/C system, and finally the road testing of the A/C system. Where appropriate, the emphasis will be on the explanation of the phenomena and performance behavior. Thus a comprehensive coverage of testing of A/C heat exchangers as part of the system will be presented. The airflow and performance testing of the HVAC module and compressor calorimeter will be the subject of a future paper.
CitationCummings, R. and Shah, R., "Experimental Performance Evaluation of Automotive Air-Conditioning Heat Exchangers as Components and in Vehicle Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2003, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2003.
- Shah R.K. Sekulić D.P. Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design John Wiley New York 2003
- Shah R.K. Zhou S.Q. Experimental Techniques for Obtaining Design Data for Compact Heat Exchanger Surfaces Compact Heat Exchangers for the Process Industries Shah R.K. Begell House, New York 365 379 1997
- Lestina R. Bell K. J. Thermal performance testing of industrial heat exchangers Advances in Heat Transfer Academic Press San Diego 35 1 55 2001
- Saiz Jabardo J.M. Mamani W. Gonzales Lanella M.R. Modeling and Experimental Evaluation of an Automotive Air Conditioning System with a Variable Capacity Compressor Int. J. Refrigeration 25 1157 1172 2002
- Kapoor S.H. Paramane S. Arora G. Application of Energy Efficient Scroll Compressor for Small Cars International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference Purdue, IN, USA July 12-15 2004
- Laboratory testing of vehicle and industrial heat exchangers for heat transfer performance Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, SAE J1994 July 1995
- Laboratory testing of vehicle and industrial heat exchangers for thermal cycle durability SAE J1542 Feb 2003 SAE Recommended Practice, SAE Handbook 2004
- Laboratory testing of vehicle and industrial heat exchangers for pressure-cycle durability Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, SAE J1597 February 1999
- Laboratory testing of vehicle and industrial heat exchangers for durability under vibration-induced loading SAE J1598 December 1999 SAE Recommended Practice, SAE Handbook 26.397 2004
- Application testing of oil-to-air oil coolers for heat transfer performance SAE J1468 May 1999
- Application testing of oil-to-water oil coolers for heat transfer performance SAE J2414 March 1999 SAE Standard, SAE Handbook 26.415 26.419 2004
- Rating air-conditioner evaporator air delivery and cooling capacity SAE J1487 Jan 2003 SAE Recommended Practice, SAE Handbook 36.52 36.57 2004
- SAE Interior Climate Control Standards Manual, SAE HS-2900 SAE Warrendale, PA 1999