This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Method for Applications in Vehicle Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle product development is a long and complex engineering process, from early conceptual design to final detailed design. Each design stage involves various iterations of design, analysis, validation, and confirmation. Computer tools are commonly used for modeling and simulation of vehicle systems, subassemblies and components. Different prototypes are often created and physical tests are deployed to validate the design. During early program stages, vehicle design information is scattered, incomplete and constantly changing, which makes the vehicle design very difficult. Without the vehicle design (most commonly in CAD format in recent history of vehicle design), limited engineering analysis or validation can be performed. It becomes the bottleneck for the early vehicle engineering decision-making. A parametric modeling method has been developed to quickly generate coarse vehicle geometry early in the design process, including BIW and interior trim surfaces based on the limited available information. This allows increased number of iterations at early design stages and has shown to significantly reduce the time conventionally required for modeling.
|Book||Finite Element Analysis for Design Engineers, Second Edition|
- Nanxin Wang - Vehicle Design Research and Advanced Engineering Department Ford Research and Advanced Engineering
- Jian Wan - Vehicle Design Research and Advanced Engineering Department Ford Research and Advanced Engineering
- Gianna Gomez-Levi - Vehicle Design Research and Advanced Engineering Department Ford Research and Advanced Engineering
CitationWang, N., Wan, J., and Gomez-Levi, G., "Parametric Method for Applications in Vehicle Design," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1564, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1564.
- Hsu, Wynne Woon, Irene M.Y. Current Research in the Conceptual Design of Mechanical Products Computer-Aided Design 30m 55 377 389 1998
- Wang N. Becker B. Kaepp G. “PEDSS: A Product Engineering Decision Support System” Proceedings of IMECE2000 Florida 2000
- Botkin, M.E. Structural Optimization of Automotive Body Components Based on Parametric Solid Modeling AAIA 2000-4707
- Calkins, D. E. Egging, N. Scholz, D. Gomez-Levi, G. AutoDSS: A System Level KBE Tool for Vehicle Product Definition SAE 2000-01-1351
- Bhise, V. Kridli, G. Mamoola, H. Devaraj, S. Pillai, A. Shulze, R. Development of a Parametric Model for Advanced Vehicle Design. SAE 2004-010381
- Wang, L. Shen, W. Xie, H. Neelamkavil, J. Pardasani, A. Collaborative conceptual design - state of the art and future trends Computer-Aided Design 34 13 November 2002 981 996