This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of KWP Over a CAN-BUS Network
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper looks into the use of simulation software to develop and maintain diagnostic systems on Car networks. It is done through automatic code generation, while also taking advantage of the Real-time benefits of Simulation software. It will concentrate on the Key Word Protocol (KWP 2000) functioning along a CAN-BUS network as a means to illustrate the benefits of the design of such software.
The paper will show the development of such software in its separate areas. Each area complies with the relevant ISO standards of Communication at the various ISO layers. It will also show how this is integrated with the external changeable data, using the SIMULINK Simulation software. This will be linked with Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet, allowing the separation of data from the application. Diagnostic code is then automatically generated. This code can be added automatically to an ECU to give it diagnostic functionality. This diagnostic design is easy to use and adaptable to existing models.
CitationKeating, F., Walsh, G., and Jackman, B., "Simulation of KWP Over a CAN-BUS Network," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1429, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1429.
- Poledna S., Fault Tolerance in Safety Critical Automotive Applications: Cost of Agreement as a Limiting Factor, Twenty-Fifth International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, 1995
- Sangiovanni A., Electronic system design in the automobile industry, IEEE Computer Society, may-June 2003,
- MathWorks/Simulink, www.mathworks.com
- Giusto P. et al., Automotive Virtual Integration Platforms: Why's, What's, and How's, Proc. Int'l Conf. Computer Design (ICCD 02), IEEE CS Press, 2002, pp. 370-378.
- Sano Y., Fukatsu H., Yahata Y., Sakai k., Hino R., Arshida T., Development of New In-Vehicle Communications System, Mitsubishi Motors Technical review, 2004.
- Abe T., Takasugi T., Kono H., Fukaya T., Ito Y., Development of Next Generation Diagnosis Functions, Mitsubishi Motors Technical review, 2004.
- CAN-BUS Protocol, www.can-cia.org
- ISO 14230 - Road Vehicles - Diagnostic Systems - Keyword Protocol 2000
- ISO/DIS 15765 - Road Vehicles - Diagnostic on Controller Area Network (CAN)
- ISO 14429 - Road Vehicles - Diagnostic Systems - Diagnostic Services Specification
- Information Technology - Open Systems Interconnection - Basic Reference Model - Conventions for the definition of OSI services, ISO 10731, 1994.
- O'Rourke, B, Giusto, T, Demmeler, T, Wisniewski, S, Rapid Prototyping of Automotive Communication Protocols, 12th International Workshop on Rapid System Prototyping, 2001
- Papadopoulos, Y, Parker, D, Grante, C, Automating the Failure Modes and Effects Analysis of Safety Critical Systems, HASE, 2004.