This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact Induced Fires: Statistical Analysis of FARS and State Data Files (1978-2001)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is a part of a larger report (Friedman, Kenney, & Holloway, 2003), Impact Induced Fires & Fuel Leakage: Statistical Analysis of FARS and State Data Files (1978-2001). This larger report included a review of the literature of fire and fuel leaks in post-collision passenger vehicles from 1957 to 2003, replicated Malliaris' (1991) methodology in his landmark study of post-collision fires in the State of Michigan and FARS data, and furthered the analysis by examining post-collision fires and fuel leaks with three state accident databases-Maryland, Illinois and Pennsylvania. The current paper is focused on the conclusions and overall recommendations for data collection and analysis based on the findings from the state accident databases and FARS analyses.
|Technical Paper||Research Programs in Crash-Induced Fire Safety|
|Technical Paper||Fire Behavior of Materials in Vehicle Crash Fires and Survivability of the Passengers|
|Technical Paper||Crashes Accompanied by Fire: What Do the Accident Data Tell Us?|
CitationFriedman, K., Holloway, E., and Kenney, T., "Impact Induced Fires: Statistical Analysis of FARS and State Data Files (1978-2001)," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1421, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1421.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V114-6; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-6; Published: 2006-02-01
- Flora, J. D. Bleitler, P. Bromberg, J. Goldstein, N. O'Day, J. 1979 An evaluation of FMVSS 301-Fuel systems integrity
- Flora, J. D. O'Day, J. 1982 Evaluation of FMVSS 301-Fuel System Integrity-Using police accident data July 1981 March 1 1982 Ann Arbor, MI Highway Safety Research Institute
- Friedman, K. D. Kenney, T. Holloway, E. L. 2003 Impact Induced Fires & Fuel Leakage: Statistical Analysis Of FARS And State Data Files (1978-2001) Motor Vehicle Fire Research Institute
- Griffin, L. I. 1997 An assessment of the reliability and validity of the information on vehicle fires contained in the FARS College Station, TX Safety Division Texas Transportation Institute, Texas A & M University System
- Griffin, L. I. 2001 Comparisons of crash-involved passenger vehicles (continuing one or more fatally -injured occupants) that did or did not experience fires (FARS 1994-1996) College Station, TX Safety and Structural Systems Division, Texas Transportation Institute, Texas A & M University System
- Griffin, L. I. Davies, B. T. Flowers, F. J. 2002 Studying passenger vehicle fires with existing databases College Station, TX Safety and Structural Systems Institute, Texas Transportation Institute, Texas A & M University System
- Griffin, L. I. Flowers, F. J. 2001 An evaluation of fatal and incapacitating injuries to drivers of passenger vehicles that experienced post-crash fires in North Carolina 1991-1996 College Station, TX Safety and Structural Systems Division, Texas Transportation Institute, Texas A&M University System
- Lavelle, J. P. Kononen, D. W. Nelander, J. R. 1998 1998 Field improvements for fire safety research 16th Annual Conference on Enhanced Safety Vehicle 98-S6-W-45 Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Parsons, G. G. 1983 Evaluation of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 301-75, Fuel System Integrity; Passenger Cars Washington, D C NHTSA DOT
- Parsons, G. G. 1990 Motor vehicle fires in traffic crashes and the effects of the fuel system integrity standard Washington, D. C. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Malliaris, M. C. 1991 Impact-induced car fires: A comprehensive investigation Accident Analysis and Prevention 23 4
- McCarthy, R. L. Anderson, L. W. Donelson, A. C. 1993 Nov 28 Dec 3 An examination of the 1977 model year FMVSS 301 effect on subcompact car rear-impact fire risk The 1993 ASME Winter Annual Meeting New Orleans, Louisiana
- Radwan, A. E. Al-Deek, H. Garib, A. M. Ishak, S. S. 1991 Motor vehicle fires: Trends and characteristics Washington, DC AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
- Ray, R. M. Lau, E. 1996 Comparative analysis of extant databases: Relevant to motor vehicle collision and non collision fire causation Menlo Park, CA Failure Analysis Associates, Inc.
- Reinfurt, D. W. 1981 A statistical evaluation of the effectiveness of FMVSS 301: Fuel System Integrity North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center
- Reinfurt, D. W. 1982 A statistical evaluation of the effectiveness of FMVSS 301: Fuel system integrity Chapel Hill, NC 27514 Highway Safety Research Center, University of North Carolina
- Steilen, K. 1988 Analysis of Motor Vehicle Fuel Tank-Related Fires Environmental Protection Agency [EPAMAP] Feb 88
- Tessmer, J. 1994 An analysis of fires in passenger cars, light trucks, and vans Washington, DC NHTSA