This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Friction Stir Welding Technique and Machine for Aluminum Sheet Metal Assembly- Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum for Automotive Applications (2) -
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Friction stir welding has been successfully applied to stitch weld aluminum sheet metal for automotive closure panel assemblies. The weldment was applied to a lap joint on A6000 series aluminum sheet. The effects of weld parameters, such as tool rotating speed and hold time, on mechanical and metallurgical properties of the joint were studied and then optimized. Resultant stitch weld shows higher lap shear and cross tension strength than those of friction stir spot welding and resistance spot welding. Furthermore, a C-frame gun for stitch welding was developed to demonstrate the capabilities for this technology for automotive closure panel applications. Stitch welding showed increased joint strength compared to spot welding
CitationOkamoto, K., Hunt, F., and Hirano, S., "Development of Friction Stir Welding Technique and Machine for Aluminum Sheet Metal Assembly- Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum for Automotive Applications (2) -," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1254, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1254.
- Thomas W.M. et al. “Friction stir butt welding”
- Midling O.T. et al. “Industrialization of the friction stir welding technology in panels production for the maritime sector” Proc. of 1st Int. symp. on FSW California, USA 1999
- Kawasaki T. et al. “Application of friction stir welding to the manufacturing of the next generation “A-train” type rolling stock” Proc of 2nd Int. symp. on FSW Gothenburg, Sweden 2000
- Sakano R. et al. “Development of spot FSW robot system for automobile body members” Proc. of 3rd Int. symp. on FSW Kobe, Japan 2001
- Okamoto K. et al. “Mechanical properties of friction stir welded aluminum alloy A5052 and A360 - Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum for Automotive Applications (1)” Proc of sheet metal welding conf. Michigan, USA 2004
- Johnsen M.R. “Friction stir welding takes off at Boeing” Welding Journal February 1999 35 39
- Lin P.-C. et al. “Microstructures and failure mechanisms of spot friction welds in lap-shear specimens of aluminum 6111-T4 sheets” 2004 SAE World Congress, Paper No. 2004-01-1330 Michigan, USA 2004