This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Non Intrusive Method for Knock Detection Based on the Exhaust Gas Temperature
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper focuses on the modelling of the exhaust gas temperature of a spark ignition engine in order to propose a new and non-intrusive method of knock detection. A zero-dimensional model is developed and accounts for the heat transfer amplification due to knock. The heat transfer coefficient is a function of the mass burnt rate because knock intensity is linked to the autoignited mass of fuel. The decrease of exhaust gas enthalpy due to knock is pointed out and analysed for a large tunings and fuel composition range. The numerical results show that a knock indicator based on the calculated maximal temperature and the measured average exhaust gas temperature as well as engine tunings can be developed.
CitationOllivier, E., Bellettre, J., and Tazerout, M., "A Non Intrusive Method for Knock Detection Based on the Exhaust Gas Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1129, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1129.
- Douaud, A. Eléments d'analyse du cliquetis et de ses effets Revue de l'Institut Français du Pétrole 38 665 674 1983
- Enomoto, Y. Kitahara, N. Takai, M. Heat losses during knocking in a four-stroke gasoline engine JSME International Journal 37 1994
- Lu, J. H. Ezekoye, D. Iiyama, A. Greif, R. Sawyer R. F. Effect of knock on time resolved engine heat transfer SAE paper 890158
- Syrimis, M. Characterization of knocking combustion and heat transfer in a spark ignition engine University of Illinois 1996
- Chun K. M Heywood J.B Characterization of knock in a spark ignition engine SAE Technical Paper, ( 890156 ) 1989
- Moses, E. Yarin, A. L. Bar-Yoseph, P. On knocking prediction in spark ignition engines Combustion and Flame 101 239 261 1995
- Abu-Qudais, M Exhaust gas temperature for knock detection and control in spark ignition engine Energy Conversion Management 37 9 1383 1392 1996
- Trapy, J Modeling a heat-exchange coefficient specific to spark-ignition engines and taking running with knock into consideration Moteur d'automobile à allumage commandé dans le nouveau contexte européen 23-25 oct. 1985 9.1 9.29
- Brecq, G Contribution à la caractérisation thermodynamique du cliquetis dans les moteurs à gaz: apllication à de nouvelles méthodes de détection Ecole des Mines de Nantes 2002
- Brecq, G Bellettre, J Tazerout, M A new indicator for knock detection in combined heat and power engines International Journal of Thermal Sciences 42 5 2002
- Heywood, J.B. Internal combustion engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 1988