This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of a Fractal Combustion Model through Flame Imaging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper is focused on the development of a fractal combustion model, included within a whole-engine one-dimensional model (1Dime code). An extensive validation is carried out through the comparison with experimental data.
The experimental activity was carried out in the combustion chamber of an optically accessible one-cylinder engine, equipped with a commercial head. Experimental data basically consisted on optical measurements which were also correlated to the instantaneous pressure inside the cylinder.
Optical measurements were based on 2D digital imaging and UV chemiluminescence of radical species. The rate of chemical energy release and related parameters were evaluated from the in-cylinder pressure data using interpretation models for heat release analysis. Moreover a post-processing of the optical measurements allowed to define the mean flame radius, and propagation speeds as well, as a function of the crank angle.
Theoretical and experimental analyses allowed to fully characterize flame structure and propagation speed as well. In order to estimate prediction levels and limitations of the numerical procedure, different engine speeds and spark timings were experimentally analyzed. A good agreement has been found in the whole tested range.
CitationBozza, F., Gimelli, A., Merola, S., and Vaglieco, B., "Validation of a Fractal Combustion Model through Flame Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1120, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1120.
- Gray C. “A Review of Variable Engine Valve Timing” SAE paper 880386
- Kapus P. Denger D. Holland T. “Intelligent Simplification - Ways Towards Improved Fuel Economy” SAE 2002-01-0236
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Tuccillo R. “The Control of a VVA Equipped SI-Engine Operation by Means of 1D Simulation and Mathematical Optimization” SAE Paper 2002-01-1107 , 2002 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2002 “Variable Valve Actuation 2002” 0-7680-0960-X SAE 2002 Transactions, Journal of Engines 111 1790 1801
- Fan L. Li G. Han Z. Reitz R. D. “Modeling Fuel Preparation and Stratified Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-0175 , also in SAE 1999 Transactions 108
- Chon D. M. Heywood J. B. “Performance Scaling of Spark-Ignition Engines: Correlation and Historical Analysis of Production Engine Data” SAE Paper 2000-01-0565 , 2000 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2000 “Modeling of SI Engines”
- Matthews R.D. Chin Y.W. “A Fractal-Based SI Engine Model: Comparisons of Predictions with Experimental Data,” SAE Paper 910075 1991
- Poulos S.G. Heywood J.B. “The Effect of Chamber Geometry on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion” SAE paper 830334 1983
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Senatore A. Caraceni A. “A Theoretical Comparison of Various VVA Systems for Performance and Emission Improvements of SI Engines” SAE Paper 2001-01-0671 2001 “Variable Valve Actuation 2001” 0-7680-0746-1
- Franke Ch. Wirth A. Peters N. “New Aspects of the Fractal Behaviour of Turbulent Flames” 23 Symp. (Int.) on Combustion, Poster Session Orleans 1990
- Gatowsky J. A. Heywood J.B. “Flame Photographs in a Spark-Ignition Engine” Combustion and Flame 56 71 81 1984
- Gouldin F. C.. “An application of Fractals to Modeling Premixed Turbulent Flames” Sibley School of Mech. And Aerospace Eng. 1986
- Bozza F. 55 73 Liguori Napoli 1993
- Catania A. E. Misul D. Spessa E. Vassallo A. “A Diagnostic Tool for the Analysis of Heat Realease, Flame Propagation Parameters and NO Formation in SI Engines” Comodia 2004 - The Sixth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines August 2∼5 2004 Pacifico Yokohama Yokohama, Japan
- Corcione F. E. Merola S. S. Vaglieco B. M. 2004 Evaluation of Knocking Combustion by an Ion Current System and Optical Diagnostics of Radical Species Comodia 2004 - The Sixth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines August 2∼5 2004 Pacifico Yokohama Yokohama, Japan
- Kuwahara K. Ando H. 2000 Diagnostics of in-cylinder flow, mixing and combustion in gasoline engine Meas. Sci. Technol. 11
- Jeon C.H. Choi S- J. Park H.J. Chang Y.J. 1994 Combustion analysis by radical intensity measurement and instantaneous image in a constant volume chamber Int. Symposium COMODIA 94 459 464
- Mantzaras J. Felton P. G. Bracco F. V. “Three-Dimensional Visualization of premixed-Charge Engine Flames: Islands of Reactants and Products; Fractal Dimensions; and Homogeneity” SAE Paper 881635 1988
- Bates C. S. “Flame Imaging Studies of Combustion Completion in a SI Four-Stroke Engine” TvU Thoughtventions Unlimited LLC http://www.tvu.com/
- Damkohler G. Z. Elektrochem. 46 1940 610
- Sivashinsky G. I. “Instabilities, Pattern Formation, and Turbulence in Flames” Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 1983
- North G. L. Santavicca D. A. “The Fractal Nature of Premixed Turbulent Flames” Combustion Science and Technology 1990
- Metgalchi M. Keck J. “Burning Velocities of Air with Methanol, Isooctane and Indolene at High Pressure and temperature” Combustion and Flame 48 191 210 1982
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. “A Comprehensive 1D Model for the Simulation of a Small-Size Two-Stroke SI Engine” SAE paper 2004-01-0999 Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines, SAE 2004 World Congress & Exhibition March 2004 Detroit, MI, USA Session: Modeling of SI Engines (Part 3 & 4 of 6) SAE 2004 Transactions, Journal of Engines
- Herweg R. Maly R. R. “A Fundamental Model for Flame Kernel Formation in S. I. Engines” SAE paper 922243 , SAE 1992 World Congress & Exhibition 1992 Detroit, MI, USA
- Woschni G. “Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE paper 670931 , SAE 1967 World Congress & Exhibition 1967 Detroit, MI, USA
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill 1988
- Bozza F. Cameretti M.C. Tuccillo R. “Numerical Simulation of In-Cylinder Processes and Duct Flow in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine” Fourth International Symposium on Small Diesel Engines Varsavia 1996 “Journal of POLISH CIMAC” 2 1 51 66 1996
- Bozza F. Tuccillo R. de Falco D. “A Two-Stroke Engine Model Based on Advanced Simulation of Fundamental Processes” SAE paper 952139 , SAE Int. Congr. & Exp. Milwaukee, WI 1995
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Unich A. Cozzolino R. “A Physically Based Scavenging Model Applied to a Small Size Two Stroke Engine” proc. of 4th International Conference ICE99 Internal Combustion Engines: Experiments and Modeling Capri 1999 623 632
- Bozza F. Torella E. “The Employment of a 1D Simulation Model for A/F Ratio Control in a VVT Engine” SAE Paper 2003-01-0027 , 2003 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2003 “Variable Valve Actuation 2003”
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Siano D. Torella E. Mastrangelo G. “A Quasi-Dimensional Three-Zone Model for Performance and Combustion Noise Evaluation of a Twin-Spark High-EGR Engine” SAE Paper 2004-01-0619 , SAE World Congress Detroit March 2004 “Modeling of Spark-Ignition Engines” 0-7680-1366-6 63 73