This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Uncertainty Analysis of Aerodynamic Coefficients in an Automotive Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an uncertainty analysis of aerodynamic force and moment coefficients for production vehicles in an automotive wind tunnel. The analysis uses a Monte Carlo numerical simulation technique. Emphasis is placed on defining the elemental random and systematic uncertainties from the tunnel’s instrumentation, understanding how they propagate through the data reduction equations and under what conditions specific elemental error sources are or are not important, and how the approach to data reduction influences the overall uncertainties in the coefficients.
The results of the analysis are used to address the issue of averaging time in the context of maintaining a maximum allowable uncertainty level. Also, a maximum error requirement in the vehicle’s installation is suggested to allow the use of rapid but approximate vehicle alignment methods without incurring errors that exceed the data uncertainty.
Observed reproducibility results are presented spanning a 16 month period. The uncertainty of the drag coefficient over this period is shown to be ±0.002 at the 95% confidence level, with similar results for the other key coefficients. As the analysis presented in the paper focuses only on those uncertainty sources that can be captured explicitly by the data reduction equations, the observed variations are higher than the calculated uncertainties.
CitationWalter, J., Canacci, V., Rout, R., Koester, W. et al., "Uncertainty Analysis of Aerodynamic Coefficients in an Automotive Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0870, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0870.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V114-6; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-6; Published: 2006-02-01
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Calibration of Subsonic and Transonic Wind Tunnels 2003
- International Organization for Standardization General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories 1999
- Kline, S.J. McClintock, F.A. “Describing Uncertainties in Singe-Sample Experiments,” Mechanical Engineering (ASME) 75 3 8 1953
- Moffat, R.J. “Describing the Uncertainties in Experimental Results,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 1 1 1988
- Coleman, H.W. Steele, W.G. “Engineering Application of Experimental Uncertainty Analysis,” AIAA Journal 33 10 October 1995
- Brown, K.K. Coleman, H.W. Steele, W.G. Taylor, R.P. “Evaluation of Correlated Bias Approximations in Experimental Uncertainty Analysis,” AIAA Journal 34 5 May 1996
- International Organization for Standardization Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1998
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Assessment of Experimental Uncertainty with Application to Wind Tunnel Testing AIAA Standard S-071A-1999 1999
- Coleman, H.W. Steele, W.G. Experimentation and Uncertainty Analysis for Engineers 2nd Ed. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1999
- Walter, T.M. Knott, D. Walter, J.A. Hompstead, J. “Transitioning Automotive Testing from the Road to the Lab,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1770
- Yen, J.C. Martindale, W.R. Duell, E.G. “The Plenum Method Versus Blockage Corrected Nozzle Method for Determining Climatic Wind Tunnel Air Speed,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0668
- Canacci, V. Walter, J.A. Jacob, S. Walter, T.M. Rout, R.K. “Performance Testing in DTF Wind Tunnel No. 8,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-3549
- Walter, J.A. Duell, E., et al. “The Driveability Test Facility Wind Tunnel No. 8,” SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0252
- Barlow, J.B. Rae, W.H. Pope, A. Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing 3rd Ed. John Wiley and Sons 1999
- Society of Automotive Engineers Vehicle Aerodynamics Terminology December 1994
- Walter, J.A. Pruess, D.J. Romberg, G.F. “Coastdown/Wind Tunnel Drag Correlation and Uncertainty Analysis,” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0630
- Marczyk, J Hoffmann, R Krishnaswamy, P. “Uncertainty Management in Automotive Crash: From Analysis to Simulation,” ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference Baltimore 2000
- Press, W.H. Teukolsky, S.A. Vetterling, W.T. Flannery, B.P. Numerical Recipes in C 2nd Ed. Cambridge University Press 1992