This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overview of Washing Systems for Commercial Cleaning of Plastics Separated from Automotive Shredded Residue
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using automated separation, a mixed plastic stream can be recovered from shredder residue (SR). However, the mixed plastics may be contaminated with dirt, oils, heavy metals, and substances of concern (SOCs). To remove these contaminates from the mixed plastics, the plastics must be washed and cleaned. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), the recovered mixed plastic needs to contain less than 2 ppm of Polychlorinated Biphenyls to be introduced into commerce, thereby setting the performance criteria for the washing systems. This paper describes the performance and safety criteria for the washing systems, the selected washing processes, and the factors contributing to the economy of mixed plastics washing.
|Technical Paper||Modular Life Cycle Model of Vehicle End of Life Phase - Basis for Analysis of Environmental Performance|
|Technical Paper||United States National Life Cycle Inventory Database Project: A Status Report|
|Book||Plastics and the Environment|
- Nakia L. Simon - DaimlerChrysler - Vehicle Recycling Partnership
- Vahid Sendijarevic - Troy Polymers, Inc.
- Ibrahim Sendijarevic - Troy Polymers, Inc.
- Candace S. Wheeler - General Motors - Vehicle Recycling Partnership
- Claudia M. Duranceau - Ford Motor Company - Vehicle Recycling Partnership
- Gerald R. Winslow - KBS Consulting - Vehicle Recycling Partnership
CitationSendijarevic, V., Sendijarevic, I., Winslow, G., Duranceau, C. et al., "Overview of Washing Systems for Commercial Cleaning of Plastics Separated from Automotive Shredded Residue," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0851, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0851.
- Winslow, G.R. Simon, N.L. Duranceau, C.M. Williams, R.L. Wheeler, C.S. Fisher, M.M. Kistenmacher, A. Vanherpe, I. “Advanced Separation of Plastics from Shredder Residue,” SAE 2004 SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 8-11 2004 Paper No. 2004-01-0469
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency “PCB, Lead, and Cadmium Levels in Shredder Waste Materials: A Pilot Study,” Final Report U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Washington, DC April 1991
- September 29 1999
- Sendijarevic, v. Simon, N.L. Duranceau, C.M. Winslow, G.R. Williams, R.L. Wheeler, C.S. Niemic, S.F. Schomer, D.R. “Screening Study to Evaluate Shredder Residue Materials,” SAE 2004 World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 8-11 2004 Paper No. 2004-01-0468