This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Properties of Surface Densified P/M Gears
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A helical PM gear for a passenger car gear box was manufactured by pressing, sintering and selective surface densification by transverse rolling. The evolution of the gear properties in terms of microstructure, gear geometry, surface roughness and DIN-quality is monitored at each step of the processing sequence. The geometry of the PM gear is compared to a conventional wrought steel gear (DIN-quality 7) being currently used in the gear box. It is shown that PM gears can be manufactured well within the DIN quality 8 tolerance fields. Furthermore it is demonstrated that alignment and profile errors is reduced in the sequence of processing. While wrought gears have less alignment and profile errors, PM gears are superior in terms of run-out and pitch errors as well as surface roughness.
CitationSigl, L., Rau, G., and Krehl, M., "Properties of Surface Densified P/M Gears," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0711, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0711.
- Bengtsson, S. Fordén, L. Dizdar, S. Johansson, P. Surface Densified PM Transmissions Gears 2001 International Conference on Power Transmission Components. Advances in High Performance Powder Metallurgy Applications Ypsilanti MI Oct 16-17 1 25 2001
- Bengtsson, S. Fordén, L. Kuylenstierna, C. Performance and properties of surface densified PM transmission gears Proceedings PM² Tech World Congress Orlando FL 2002 2/50 2/63 2002
- Rau, G. Sigl, L.S. Krehl, M. Highly Loaded PM Gears Produced by Selective Densification SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 3-6 2003 SAE Technical Paper Series # 2003-01-0334
- Dizdar, S. Skoglund, P. Bengtsson, S. Process, quality and properties of high-density PM gears International Conference on Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials Las Vegas NV 9/36 9/45 2003
- Johansson, P. Bengtsson, S. Dizdar, S. RCF-testing of selectively densified rollers of PM materials for gear application PM 2 TEC 2002 World Congress on Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials Orlando FL 5/180 5/192 2002
- Kotthoff, G.A. Application of High Density PM Gears for Automotive Gearboxes by Densification of the Surface Layer 2002
- Toleranzen für Stirnradverzahnungen: Grundlagen Beuth Verlag Berlin 1978
- Toleranzen für Stirnradverzahnungen: Teil 1-3 Beuth Verlag Berlin 1978