This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of an Enhanced Constant Volume Sampling System and a Bag Mini Diluter for Near Zero Exhaust Emission Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As automotive exhaust emission standards have become more stringent and emission control technologies have advanced over the years, accurately measuring the resulting near zero emissions has become increasingly difficult. To improve measurement accuracy, enhancements have been made to the conventional Constant Volume Sampling system (CVS) and to the analytical instrumentation
This study included the evaluation of a CVS enhancement. Specifically, a prototype air filter was utilized to enhance the performance of a CVS by reducing non-methane hydrocarbons (NMHC) from dilution air at ambient temperature.
Also incorporated into this study was the assessment of a Bag Mini-Dilute (BMD), a relatively new sampling system developed for measuring low-level vehicle emissions. The BMD can be used as an alternative to the CVS and has been approved for emission measurement by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (ARB.)
Emissions from two super-ultra-low emission vehicles (SULEV) were tested to compare results obtained from a CVS, a CVS enhanced with a dilution air filter, and a BMD.
CitationSun, E., McMahon, W., Peterson, D., Wong, J. et al., "Evaluation of an Enhanced Constant Volume Sampling System and a Bag Mini Diluter for Near Zero Exhaust Emission Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0684, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0684.
- Sun E. et al. “Oxygen Quench Effect on Flame Ionization Detector for Hydrocarbon Emission Measurements,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1431
- Tayama Akira et al. “A Study of a Gasoline Fueled Near-Zero-Emission Vehicle using an Improved Emission Measurement System,” SAE Paper 982555 1998
- Behrendt H. et al. “Studies on Enhanced CVS Technology to Achieve SULEV Certification,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0048
- Environmental Research Consortium Technical Report “The Bag Mini-Diluter Alternative to CVS Sampling,” May 1 2001
- Silvis W. et al “Proportional Ambient Sampling: a CVS Improvement for ULEV and Lean Engine Operation,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0154
- Sun E. et al. “Evaluation of Fluorocarbon Polymer Bag Material for Near Zero Exhaust Emission Measurement,” SAE Paper 2001-01-3535 2001
- Yang L. Sun E.