This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Compression Ratio and Injection Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Small Displacement Common Rail Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of variations of compression ratio (CR) and injection pressure (IP) on the emissions and performance of a small displacement common rail off-road diesel engine was evaluated.
The operating point corresponding to the 5th mode of the ISO 8178 - C1 test cycle (intermediate speed / full load) was considered, since it represents one of the most critical operating conditions as far as exhaust emissions are concerned.
The main effect of a reduction of the compression ratio, for a fixed injection timing, was found to be, as expected, an increase in NOx emissions along with a decrease of PM emissions, with a substantial redefinition of the PM-NOx trade-off curve; the choice of a proper value for the start of injection can therefore lead to a better compromise among pollutant emissions, although remarkable variations in BSFC and combustion noise must be taken into account.
Further improvements of the trade-off between PM and NOx emissions as well as of the combustion noise could also be achieved by means of a proper choice of the injection pressure.
CitationMallamo, F., Badami, M., and Millo, F., "Effect of Compression Ratio and Injection Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Small Displacement Common Rail Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0379, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0379.
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and NOx Control 2005
Number: SP-1976; Published: 2005-04-11
Number: SP-1976; Published: 2005-04-11
- Tow, T. C. Pierpont D. A. Reitz R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Piccone, A. Rinolfi, R. “FIAT Third Generation DI Diesel Engines” IMECHE-Ricardo Seminar “The Euro 4 Challenge - Future Technologies and System” London December 1997
- Zelenka, P. Egert, M. Cartellieri, W. “Ways to Meet Future Emissions Standards with Diesel Engine Powered Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV)” SAE Paper 2000-01-0181 2000
- Badami, M. Millo, F. D'Amato, D. D. “Experimental Investigation on Soot and NOx Formation in a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection” SAE Paper 2001-01-0657 2001
- Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R. D. “Optimization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operating Parameters Using a Response Surface Method” SAE Paper 2000-01-1962 2000
- Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R. D. “Effects of Multiple Injections and Flexible Control of Boost and EGR on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0195 2001
- Montgomery, D.C. “Design and Analysis of Experiments (3rd Edition)” John Wiley & Sons New York 1991
- Badami, M. Mallamo, F. Millo, F. Rossi, E. E. “Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-0503 2002
- Badami, M. Mallamo, F. Millo, F. Rossi, E. E. “Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Noise and BSFC of an Automotive DI CR Diesel Engine” International Journal of Engine Research(ImechE) 4 4 2003
- Mallamo F. Badami M. Millo F. “Application of the Design of Experiments and Objective Functions for the Optimization of Multiple Injection Strategies for Low Emissions in CR Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2004-01-0123
- Yamamoto, M. Yoneya, S. Matsuguchi, T. Kumagai, Y. “Optimization of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Parameters for Low Exhaust Emissions Using the Design of Experiments” SAE Paper 2002-01-0503 2002
- Haines, S.N.M. Dicken, C.S. Gallacher, A.M. “The Application of an Automatic Calibration Optimization Tool to Direct-Injection Diesels” ImechE International Conference on Statistics and Modeling in Automotive Engineeering London 2000
- Sprogis, W.A. “Possibilities to Reduce Influence of Compression Ratio on Total Hydrocarbon Emission from a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 831293 1983
- Wu, K. “Effects of Compression Ratio on Combustion Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 872056 1987
- Miyamoto, N. “Studies on Low Compression Ratio Diesel Engine” Trans. of the JSME 37-229 1971
- Roy, M.M. “Effect of Injection Pressure and Split Injection on Exhaust Odor and Engine Noise in DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper, 2002-01-2874 2002
- Badami, M. Nuccio, P. Trucco, P. “Influence of Injection Pressure on the Performance of a DI Diesel Engine with a Common Rail Fuel Injection System” SAE Paper 1999-01-0193 1999
- Pierpont, D.A. Reitz, R.D. “Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D.I. Diesel Emissions and Performance” SAE Paper 950604 1995
- Shimada, T. Shoji, T. Takeda, Y. “The Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure on Diesel Engine Performance” SAE Paper 891919 1989
- Hountalas, D.T. Kouremenos, D.A. Mavropoulos, G.C. Binder, K.B. Schwarz, V. “Multi-Zone Combustion Modeling as a Tool for DI Diesel Engine Development - Application for the Effect of Injection Pressure” SAE Paper 2004-01-0115 2004
- Park, C. Kook, S. Bae, C. “Effects of Multiple Injections in a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with Common Rail Injection System” SAE Paper 2004-01-0127 2004
- Su, T.F. Chang, C.T. Reitz, R.D. Farrell, P.V. Pierpont, A.D. Tow, T.C. “Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on Spray SMD and D.I. Emissions” SAE Paper 952360 1995
- Ryan, T. Shahed, S.M. “Injection Pressure and Intake Air Density Effects on Ignition and Combustion in a 4-Valve Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 941919 1994
- Riva, G.E. Reggiori, A. Daminelli, G. “Diesel Spray Combustion Rate Enhancement by Increasing Injection Pressure” SAE Paper 930926 1993
- Mallamo, F. Badami, M. Millo, F. “Analysis of Multiple Injection Strategies for the Reduction of Emissions, Noise and BSFC of a DI CR Small Displacement Non-Road Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-2672 2002
- Badami, M. Mallamo, F. Millo, F. Testa, D. “ICE Analyzer: a Data Acquisition System for Internal Combustion Engines” National Instruments Automotive Users' Conference Turin June 2001
- Herbert, A. J. Russell, M. F. “Measurement of Combustion Noise in Diesel Engines” Mechanical Engineering Technology April 1982
- Russell, M. F. “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE Paper 8020238 1980
- AVL List GmbH “AVL 450 Combustion Noise Meter Operating Manual” 1992