This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Potential of Dual Stage Turbocharging and Miller Cycle for HD Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The potential of dual stage turbocharging and Miller Cycle for a six cylinders in line, 13 litres displacement, HD diesel engine was analysed in this work, by means of a 1-D engine simulation fluid dynamic code, coupled with a multi-zone combustion model for NOx and PM prediction.
After a detailed validation process, based on an extensive experimental data set, the engine model was then used to predict the effects on engine performance and emission characteristics of different combinations of dual stage turbochargers, engine compression ratio values and intake valve lift profiles. The potential for an appreciable increase in the engine power, with a slight decrease in the specific fuel consumption and a remarkable decrease of NOx specific emissions was demonstrated.
CitationMillo, F., Mallamo, F., and Mego, G., "The Potential of Dual Stage Turbocharging and Miller Cycle for HD Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0221, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0221.
- Miller, R. Lieberherr, H.U. “ The Miller Supercharging system for Diesel and Gas Engines operating Characteristics ” CIMAC Proceedings Zurich 1957
- Zinner, K. “ Supercharging of Internal Combustion Engines ” Springer-Verlag Berlin 1978
- Chute, R. Pressure Compounding a Four Cycle Diesel Engine SAE Paper 851520 1985
- Ishizuki, Y. Shimizu, Y. Hikino, H. Kawashima, Y. “ A New Type of Miller Supercharging System for High Speed Engines Part 2 - Realization of High BMEP Diesel Engines ” SAE Paper 851523 1985
- Isaksson, S. “ The Miller Cycle and its Application on a Medium Speed Diesel Engine ” Helsinki University of Technology 2000
- Stebler, H. Weisser, G. Horler, H. Boulouchos, K. “ Reduction of NOx Emissions of D.I. Diesel Engines by Application of the Miller System: An Experimental and Numerical Investigation ” SAE Paper 960844 1996
- Edwards, S. P. Frankle, G. R. Wirbeleit, F. Raab, A. “ The Potential of a Combined Miller Cycle and Internal EGR Engine for Future Heavy Duty Truck Applications ” SAE Paper 980180 1998
- Gamma Technologies Inc. “ GT-POWER User's Manual ” 2003
- Morel, T. Keribar, R. Leonard, A. “ Virtual Engine/Powertrain/Vehicle Simulation Tool Solves Complex Interacting System Issues ” SAE Paper 2003-01-0372 2003
- Keribar, R. Ciesla, C. R. Morel, T “ Engine/Powertrain/Vehicle Modeling Tool Applicable to all Stages of the Design Process ” SAE Paper 2000-01-0934 2000
- Yoshizaki, T. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. “ Approach to Low NO x and Smoke Emissions Engines by Using Phenomenological Simulation ” SAE Paper 930612 1993
- Morel, T. Wahiduzzaman, S. “ Modeling of Diesel Combustion and Emissions ” FISITA 1996
- Cafari, A. “ Numerical analysis of different dual stage turbocharging solutions for Heavy Duty Diesel engines ” Politecnico di Torino Turin, Italy 2004