This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluating the EGR-AFR Operating Range of a HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We present a computational tool to develop an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) - air-fuel ratio (AFR) operating range for homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines. A single cylinder Ricardo E-6 engine running in HCCI mode, with external EGR is simulated using an improved probability density function (PDF) based engine cycle model. For a base case, the in-cylinder temperature and unburned hydrocarbon emissions predicted by the model show a satisfactory agreement with measurements [Oakley et al., SAE Paper 2001-01-3606]. Furthermore, the model is applied to develop the operating range for various combustion parameters, emissions and engine parameters with respect to the air-fuel ratio and the amount of EGR used. The model predictions agree reasonably well with the experimental results for various parameters over the entire EGR-AFR operating range thus proving the robustness of the PDF based model. The boundaries of the operating range namely, knocking, partial burn, and misfire are reliably predicted by the model. In particular, the model provides a useful insight into the misfire phenomenon by depicting the cyclic variation in the ignition timing and the in-cylinder temperature profiles. Finally, we investigate two control options, namely heating intake charge and trapping residual burned fraction by negative valve overlap. The effect of these two methods on HCCI combustion and CO, HC and NOx emissions is studied.
- Amit Bhave - Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Markus Kraft - Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Fabian Mauss - Division of Combustion Physics, Lund Institute of Technology
- Aaron Oakley - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Brunel University
- Hua Zhao - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Brunel University
CitationBhave, A., Kraft, M., Mauss, F., Oakley, A. et al., "Evaluating the EGR-AFR Operating Range of a HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0161, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0161.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion 2005
Number: SP-1963 ; Published: 2005-04-11
Number: SP-1963 ; Published: 2005-04-11
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion on CD-ROM from the SAE 2005 World Congress
Number: SP-1982CD ; Published: 2005-04-11
Number: SP-1982CD ; Published: 2005-04-11
- Thring, R. H., Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines”, SAE 892068.
- Smith, J. R., Aceves, S. M., Westbrook, C. and Pitz, W., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Methane”, ASME 97-ICE-68.
- Gentili, R. and Frigo, S., “Further Insight on ATAC and GDI Combination in Two-stroke Engines”, SAE 2000-01-0897.
- Oakley, A., Zhao, H., Ladommatos, N., and Ma,T.,“Dilution Effects on the Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion of Hydrocarbon and Alcohol Fuels”, SAE 2001-01-3606.
- Koopmans, L. and Denbratt, I., “A Four Stroke Camless Engine Operating in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE 2001-01-3610.
- Zhao, H., Li, J., Ma, T. and Ladommatos, N., “Performance and Analysis of a Four Stroke Multi-cylinder Gasoline Engine with CAI Combustion”, SAE 2002-01-0420.
- Aichlmayr, H. T., Kittelson, D. B. and Zachariah, M. R., “Miniature Free Piston Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine - Compressor Concept - Part ii - Modeling HCCI Combustion in Small Scales with Detailed Homogeneous Gas Phase Kinetics”, Chem. Engng. Sci., 57, 4173-4186, 2002.
- Hyvonen, J., Haraldsson, G. and Johansson, B., “Operating Range in a Multi-Cylinder HCCI Engine Using Variable Compression Ratio”, SAE 2003-01-1829.
- Yelvington, P. E., Rallo, M. B. I., Liput, S., Tester, J. W. and Green, W., “Prediction of Performance Maps for Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines”, Combust. Sci. and Tech., 176, 1243-1282, 2004.
- Bhave, A. and Kraft, M., “Partially Stirred Reactor Model: Analytical Solutions and Numerical Convergence Study of a PDF/Monte Carlo Method”, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 25, 5, 1798-1823, 2004.
- Kraft, M., Maigaard, P., Mauss, F., Christensen, M. and Johansson, B., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine: Measurements and a New Computational Model”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 28, 1195-1201, 2000.
- Bhave, A., Balthasar, M., Mauss, F., and Kraft, M., “Analysis of a Natural Gas Fuelled HCCI Engine with Exhaust Gas Recirculation Using a Stochastic Reactor Model”, Int. J. Engine Res., 5, 1, 93-104, 2004.
- Bhave, A., Kraft, M., Montorsi, L., and Mauss, F., “Modelling a Dual-fuelled Multi-cylinder HCCI Engine Using a PDF-based Engine Cycle Simulator”, SAE 2004-01-0561.
- Zhang, Y. Z., Kung, E. H., and Haworth, D. C. “A PDF Method for Multidimensional Modeling of HCCI Engine Combustion: Effects of Turbulence/Chemistry Interaction on Ignition Timing and Emissions”, to appear in Proc. Combust. Inst., 30, 2004.
- Chen, Z., Konno, M., and Goto, S., “Study on Homogeneous Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with LPG”, JSAE Review, 22, 265-270, 2002.
- Christensen, M., “PhD Thesis: HCCI Combustion, Engine Operation and Emissions Characteristics”, Department of Heat and Power Engineering, Lund Institute of Tecnology, Sweden, 2002.
- Tsurushima, T., Kunishima, E., Asaumi, Y., Aoyagi, Y. and Enomoto, Y., “The Effect of Knock on Heat Loss in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines”, SAE 2002-01-0108.
- Koopmans, L. and Backlund, O., “Cycle to Cycle Variations: Their Influence on Cycle Resolved Gas Temperature and Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Camless Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE 2002-01-0110.
- Koopmans, L., Wallesten, J., Ogink, R., and Denbratt, I., “Location of the First Auto-ignition Sites for Two HCCI Systems in a Direct Injection Engine”, SAE 2004-01-0564.
- Zhao, F., Asmus, T. W., Assanis, D. N., Dec, J. E., Eng, J. A. and Najt, P. M., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines: Key Research and Development Issues”, 1st edn, SAE Inc, Canada, 1-658, 2003.
- Willand, J., Nieberding, R. G., Vent, G. and Enderle, C., “The Knocking Syndrome - Its Cure and its Potential”, SAE 982483.
- Onishi, S., Jo, S. H., Shoda, K., Jo, P. D. and Kato, S., “Active Thermo Atmospheric Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines”, SAE 790501.
- Kontarakis, G., Collings, N. and Ma, T., “Demonstration of HCCI Using a Single Cylinder Four Stroke SI Engine with Modified Valve Timings”, SAE 2000-01-2870.
- Lavy, J., Dabadie, J. C., Angelberger, C., Duret, P., Willand, J., Juretzka, A., Schaflein, J., Ma, T., Lendresse, y., Satre, A., Schulz, C., Kramer, H., Zhao, H. and Damiano, L., “Innovative Ultra-NOx controlled Auto-ignition Combustin Process for Gasoline Engines: The 4 SPACE Project”, SAE 2000-01-1837.
- Law, D., Kemp, D., Kirkpatrick, G. and Copland, T., “Controlled Combustion in an IC Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Tain”, SAE 2000-01-0251.
- Li, J., Zhao, H., Ladommatos, N. and Ma, T., “Research and Development of Controlled Auto-ignition (CAI) Combustion in a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine”, SAE 2001-01-3608.
- Koopmans, L. and Denbratt, I., “A Four Camless Engine Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE 2001-01-3610.
- Xu, H., Fu, H., Williams, H. and Shilling, I., “Modelling Study of Combustion and Gas Exchange in a HCCI (CAI) Engine”, SAE 2002-01-0114.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Assanis, D. N. and Fiveland, S., “Controlled Combustion in an IC Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train”, SAE 2002-01-2829.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Lavoie, G. A. and Assanis, D. N., “Modeling HCCI Combustion with High Levels of Residual Gas Fraction - A Comparison of Two VVA Strategies”, SAE 2003-01-3220.
- Persson, H., Agrell, M., Olsson, J., Johansson, B. and Ström, H., “The Effect of Intake Temperature on HCCI Operation Using Negative Valve Overlap”, SAE 2004-01-0944.
- Najt, P. and Foster, D. E., “Compression Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE 830264.
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Amneus, P. and Mauss, F., “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE 980787.
- Christensen, M. and Johansson, B., “The Effect of In-cylinder Flow and Turbulence on HCCI Operation”, SAE 2002-01-2864.
- Stanglmaier, R. H. and Roberts, C. E., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises and Future Engine Applications”, SAE 1999-01-3682.
- Olsson, J. O., Erlandsson, O. and Johansson, B., “Experiments and Simulation of a Six Cylinder Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine”, SAE 2000-01-2867.
- Olsson, J. O., Tunestål, P., Haraldsson, G. and Johansson, B., “A Turbo-charged Dual Fuel HCCI Engine”, SAE 2001-01-1896.
- Stanglmaier, R. H., Ryan T. W. III, and Souder, J. S., “HCCI Operation of a Dual Fuel Natural Gas Engine for Improved Fuel Efficiency and Ultra low NOx Emissions at low to Moderate Engine Loads”, SAE 2001-01-1897.
- Van Blarigan, P., Paradiso, N. and Goldsborough, S., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with A Free Piston: A New Approach to Ideal Otto Cycle Performance”, SAE 982484.