This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Linearized Neural Predictive Control A Turbocharged SI Engine Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, (engine) downsizing using turbocharging appears as a major way for reducing fuel consumption. With this aim in view, the air actuators (throttle, Turbo WasteGate) control is needed for an efficient engine torque control especially to reduce pumping losses and to increase efficiency. This work proposes Nonlinear Model Predictive Control (NMPC) of the air actuators for turbocharged SI engines where the predictions are achieved by a neural model. The results obtained from a test bench of a Smart MCC engine show the real time applicability of the proposed method based on on-line linearization and the good control performances (good tracking, no overshoot) for various engine speeds.
CitationColin, G., Chamaillard, Y., Charlet, A., Bloch, G. et al., "Linearized Neural Predictive Control A Turbocharged SI Engine Application," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0046, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0046.
- Blet, N. Megias D. Serrano J. de Prada C. 2002 “Non-linear MPC versus MPC using on-line linearization - a comparative study” 15th Triennal World Congress Barcelona, Spain
- Bloch, G. Denoeux T. 2003 “Neural networks for process control and optimization: two industrial applications” ISA Transactions 42 39 51
- Clarke, D.W. Mohtadi C. Tuffs P.S. 1987 “Generalized predictive control - Part I The basic algorithm” Automatica 23 2 137 273
- Corde, G. 2002 “Le contrôle moteur” Contrôle-commande de la voiture Gissinger G. Le Fort-Piat N. Hermès, Paris
- Cutler, C.R. Ramaker B.L. 1979 “Dynamic Matrix Control - a computer control algorithm” AICHE national meeting Houston, TX
- Garcia, C.E. Prett D.M. Morari M. 1989 “Model Predictive control: theory and practice - a survey” Automatica 25 3 335 348
- Haley, P.J. Soloway D. Gold B. 1999 “Real-time adaptive control using neural Generalized Predictive Control” Proceedings of the American Control Conference San Diego, CA.
- Findeisen, R. Allgöwer F. 2002 “An introduction to Non-linear Model Predictive Control” 21st Benelux Meeting on systems and control The Netherlands
- Lennox, B. Montague G.A. Frith A.M. Gent C. Bevan V. 2001 “Industrial application of neural networks: an investigation” Journal of Process Control 11 497 507
- Lecointe, B. Monnier G. 2003 “Downsizing a Gasoline Engine Using Turbocharging with Direct Injection” SAE World Congress. 2003-01-0542 Detroit
- Lee, J.H. Morari M. Garcia C.E. 1994 “State Space Interpretation of Model Predictive Control” Automatica 30 4 707 717
- Mathworks XPC Target 2 http://www.mathworks.com/products/xpctarget/
- Morari, M. Lee J.H. 1999 “Model predictive control: past, present, future” Computers and Chemical Engineering 23 667 682
- Nelles, O. 2001 “Nonlinear System Identification” Springer
- Nørgaard, M. 2000 “Neural Network Based System Identification Toolbox ver. 2” Department of Automation, Technical University of Denmark
- Nørgaard, M Ravn O. Poulsen N.K. Hansen L.K. 2000 “Neural Networks for Modeling and Control of Dynamic Systems” Springer-Verlag London
- Powers, W.F. Nicastri P.R. 2000 “Automotive vehicle control challenges in the 21st century” Control Engineering Practice 8 605 618
- Qin, S. J. Badqwell T.A. 2003 “A survey of industrial model predictive technology” Control Engineering Practice 23 667 682
- Richalet, J. Rault A. Testud J.L. Papon J. 1978 “Model predictive heuristic control: Applications to industrial processes” Automatica 14 413 428
- Soloway, D. Haley P.J. 1996 “Neural Generalized Predictive Control: A Newton-Raphson Implementation” Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control 277 281
- Soltic P. 2000 Part load Optimized SI Engine
- Sorensen, P.H. Nørgaard M. Ravn O. Poulsen N.K. 1999 “Implementation of neural network based non-linear predictive control” Neurocomputing 28 37 51