This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Real-Time Control for a Hydrogen Powered Hybrid Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicle with hydrogen fueled internal combustion engine could be an interim between current vehicles and fuel cell vehicles which are thought to be more of far term reality. This paper introduces the hydrogen engine powered parallel hybrid electric vehicle developed by Texas Tech University Advanced Vehicle Engineering Lab. It presents the innovative use of LabVIEW Real-Time controllers to develop the prototype vehicle powertrain control system. Then it discusses the hydrogen engine control issues and presents the development of the engine control unit by LabVIEW FPGA. Vehicle communication issues among the distribution management system are presented. The vehicle test results are also shown in this paper.
|Technical Paper||Cost Competitiveness of Fuel Cell Vehicles Through Novel Hybridization Approaches|
|Technical Paper||Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Fuel Economy Measurements and Calculation|
CitationHe, X., Leslie, A., Halmari, J., Cordaway, A. et al., "Development of Real-Time Control for a Hydrogen Powered Hybrid Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0023, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0023.
- He X., Leslie A., Cordaway A., Maxwell T., and Parten M., “Peripheral system for a fuel cell powered vehicle,” in SAE, Paper no. 2004-01-1010.
- Tang X., Kabat D., Natkin R., Stockhausen W., and Heffel J., “Ford P2000 hydrogen engine dynamometer development,” in SAE, Paper no. 2002-01-0242.
- Lin C., Peng H., Grizzle J., Liu J., and Busdiecker M., “Control system development for an advanced-technology medium-duty hybrid electric truck,” in SAE, Paper no. 2003-01-3369.
- Rousseau A., Deville B., Zini G., Kern J., Anderson J., and Duoba M., “Honda insight validation using PSAT,” in SAE, Paper no. 2001-01-2538.
- Strassbery D., “Choosing a real-time platform: FPGAs vs. Real-Time operating systems,” in www.edn.com/info, April, 2004.
- Viele M., Stein L., Gillespi M., and Hoekstra G., “A PC and FPGA hybrid approach to hardware-in-theloop simulation,” in SAE, Paper no. 2004-01-0904.
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw-Hill, Inc, New York, 1988.
- Federal Emission Standards and California Emission Standards. [Online]. Available: http://www.dieselnet.com/standards.html
- Szwabowshi S., Hashemi S., Stockhausen W., et al., “Ford hydrogen engine powered P2000 vehicle,” in SAE, Paper no. 2002-01-0243.