This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Tuning of Individual Cylinders AFR in SI Engines with the Ion Current
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A method for robust tuning of individual cylinders air-fuel ratio is proposed. The fuel injection is adjusted so that each cylinder has the same air-fuel ratio in inner control loops, and the resulting air-fuel ratio in the exhaust pipe is controlled with an exhaust gas oxygen sensor (EGO) in an outer control loop to achieve stoichiometric air-fuel ratio.
Correction factors to provide cylinder individual fuel injection timing are calculated based on measurements of the ion currents for the individual cylinders. An implementation in a production vehicle is shown with results from driving on the highway.
CitationWickstrom, N., Byttner, S., and Holmberg, U., "Robust Tuning of Individual Cylinders AFR in SI Engines with the Ion Current," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0020, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0020.
- Degobert P. Automobiles and Pollution Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1995
- Eriksson L. A real-time platform for closed-loop spark advance control Technical report LiTH-R-1938 Department of Electrical Engineering Linköping University Linköping, Sweden 1997
- Grizzle J. W. Dobbins K. L. Cook J. A. Individual cylinder air-fuel ratio control with a single EGO sensor IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology 40 1 280 286 1991
- Hellring M. Munther T. Rögnvaldsson T. Wickström N. Carlsson C. Larsson M. Nytomt J. Robust air-fuel ratio estimation using the ion current and neural networks Technical paper 991161 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1999
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Huang Y. Grong J. Wang J. Sarlashkar J. Effects of engine operating conditions on in-cylinder air/fuel ratio detection using a production ion sensing device Technical paper 2004-01-0515 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2004
- Kaintz J. L. Smith J. C. Individual cylinder fuel control with a switching oxygen sensor Technical paper 1999-01-0546 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1999
- Klövmark H. Rask P. Forssell U. Estimating the air/fuel ratio from gaussian parametrizations of the ionization in internal combustion SI engines Technical paper 2000-01-1245 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2000
- Reinmann R. Saitzkoff A. Mauss F. Local air-fuel ratio measurements using the spark plug as an ionization sensor Technical paper 970856 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1997
- Upadhyay D. Rizzoni G. AFR control on a single cylinder engine using the ionization current Technical paper 980203 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1998