This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Profile fo r Reduction of Piston Slap Excitation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analytical model for the prediction of piston secondary motion and the vibration due to piston slap. For the modeling of piston slap phenomenon, cylinder liner is modeled as a several spring-mass system that are connected by modal characteristics, and lubricant film between the piston and the cylinder is modeled as reaction force vectors which excite resonant mode of them. By comparing experimental results and analytical ones, the validity of the proposed model has been confirmed. The optimization of the piston skirt profile is also carried out with the analytical model, and it is confirmed that the round shape of the lower part of piston skirt is effective for the reduction of piston slap excitation.
|Technical Paper||Reduction of Piston Slap Excitation with Optimization of Piston Profile|
|Technical Paper||Robust Piston Design and Optimization Using Piston Secondary Motion Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Abnormal Wear on Piston Top Groove|
CitationTsujiuchi, N., Koizumi, T., Hamada, K., Okamura, M. et al., "Optimization of Profile fo r Reduction of Piston Slap Excitation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0022, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-32-0022.
- Nakada, T Yamamoto, A Abe, T A Numerical Approach for Piston Secondary Motion Analysis and its Application to the Piston Related Noise SAE Technical Paper Series, 972043 1361 1370 1985
- Wong Victor W. Tian T, Lang H, Ryan J, P. Sekiya, Y Kobayashi, Y Aoyama, S A Numerical Model of Piston Secondary Motion and Piston Slap in Partially Flooded Elastohydrodynamic Skirt Lubrication SAE Technical Paper Series, 940696 81 95 1994
- Dennis F. L STEVE, M.R Hazem A. E An Automotive Piston lubrication Model SAE Technical Paper Series 26 2 151 160 1982
- Murakami, M Konomi, T Nohira, H Sanda, S Saito, A Noda, T Analysis Oil Film Behavior between Piston and Cylinder Liner by using Scanning-LIF Proceeding of the 10th joint symposium of internal combustion 181 186 1992
- Ohta, K Irie, Y Yamamoto, K Ishikawa H Piston Slap Induced Noise and Vibration of Internal Combustion Engines (1st Report, Theoretical Analysis and Simulation) SAE Technical Paper Series, 870990 337 342 1987
- Gerald W. G Roxann L. E A Technique for the Analysis of Cylinder Liner Vibrations and Cavitation SAE Technical Paper Series, 930582 79 87 1993
- Goto, T Maeda, O Reduction Disagreeable Idle Sound in Two-stroke Engines Proceeding of the 10th joint symposium of internal combustion 163 168 1992
- Take, K Ohbayashi, R Ito, T Fujii, M Hoshino, S Piston Slap Analysis for FRM Liner Cylinder Block Honda R&D Technical Review 10 98 105 1998