Effect of Slip in Performance of Rolling Element Bearings
Published January 16, 2004 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation of this paper is available
Event: SIAT 2004
Performance analysis of rolling element bearings is a complex phenomenon, which has been studied by researchers from many points of view. A variety of parameters such as operating torque, PV value, and slip rate plays role in performance of rolling element bearings. In conventional bearing design and analysis an assumption of “pure rolling” is made. This assumption is not rigorous especially in lightweight and high-speed bearings. This paper reviews the effect of slip in performance of rolling element bearings such as frictional loss, torque, heat generation, wear and rolling contact fatigue. The research work already done on the performance of bearings under slip and partial slip conditions has been studied and reviewed.
CitationSelvaraj, A., Marappan, R., and Govindarajan, P., "Effect of Slip in Performance of Rolling Element Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0043, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-28-0043.
- Jones. A.B., Ball Motion and Sliding Friction in Ball Bearings, ASME Journal of Basic Engineering (1959), Vol. 3, 1-12.
- Harris, T.A., Rolling Bearing Analysis, 3rd Ed., John wiley & sons, Inc., (1991)
- Aramaki Hirotoshi, et.al., Rolling Bearing Analysis Program Package -BRAIN., Motion and Control No.3 (1997)., NSK
- Yamamoto, S., and Ishihara, S., Wear of Rolling Element Bearings-Skidding Damage of High-Speed Cylindrical Roller Bearings, Journal of JSLE, (1979), Vol. 24, 725-728.
- Nielsen, J.B., et, al., Tangential Contact Problem with Friction Coefficients Depending on Sliding Velocity., II nd Conference on contact mechanics, 1996.
- Lance. B.J., et, al., The Normal Approach and Stick - Slip Phenomena at the Interface of Two Rough Bodies, Journal of Tribology (1993), Vol. 115, 445-452.
- Furumura Kyozaburo., et.al., Recent Trends in Research and Development of Rolling Bearings., Motion and Control No.1 (1996)., NSK.
- Yoshida Zenichi., et.al., Tribological Technology for High Efficient Centrifugal Chiller., Technical review, MHIL, 2002.
- Ai Xiaolan., Rolling Element Bearing., Modern Tribology hand book (2001).
- Xu Biqiang., et.al., Elastic - Plastic Finite Element Analysis of Partial Slip Rolling Contact., ASME Transactions, Vol. 124, 2002.
- Wolff. R., et.al., Thermal Elasto Hydro Dynamic Lubrication of Rolling / Sliding Line Contacts,, ASME Transactions, Vol. 114, 1992.
- Goryacheva., I.G., et.al., Wear in partial slip contact., ASME Transactions, Vol. 123, 2001
- Alfredsson., Bo., A study on Contact Fatigue Mechanisms., Doctoral Thesis No.44, Sweden (2000).