This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FLOW FIELD ANALYSIS OF A MULTI CYLINDER S.I. ENGINE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM USING COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 16, 2004 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2004
The objective of present study is to predict and analyze the flow through the Air Intake System (AIS) of a multicylinder S.I. engine by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). The predicted results are validated by experimental data. Three-dimensional model of air intake system was created by using the commercially available software and the mesh was generated using the Tet-hybrid scheme. The pressure boundary conditions are used to define the fluid pressure at the inlet and outlet of the flow domain. Three different throttle conditions namely idling, 50% throttle opening and wide open throttling (WOT) are considered. Flow through the domain is analyzed for all the three cylinders. The CFD plots give informative pictures of the flow field, which will help the designer to understand the effect of various components of air intake system. The predicted airflow rate shows good agreement with the experimental results. The result obtained from the present study indicate that the method employed in the prediction can be used as a tool to understand the effect of various parts of Air Intake System for optimization and to reduce the number of experimental investigations to arrive at a final design.
- V Ganesan - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory Department of Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Madras Chennai 600 036, INDIA
- J. Suresh Kumar - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory Department of Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Madras Chennai 600 036, INDIA
- V. Balasubramanian - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory Department of Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Madras Chennai 600 036, INDIA
CitationGanesan, V., Suresh Kumar, J., and Balasubramanian, V., "FLOW FIELD ANALYSIS OF A MULTI CYLINDER S.I. ENGINE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM USING COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS," SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0010, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-28-0010.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Versteeg H K Malalasekara W An Introduction To Computational Fluid Dynamics -The Finite Volume Method Longman Group Limited 1995
- Shaw C T Using Computational Dynamics Prentice Hall 1992 0-13-928714-0
- Heywood J B Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill International Edition 1988
- Winterbone Desmond E Pearson Richard J Theory of Manifold Design - Wave Action Methods For IC Engines Professional Engineering publishing limited 1999
- Winterbone Desmond E Pearson Richard J Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds - Wave Action Methods For IC Engines Professional Engineering publishing limited 1999
- Livengood J C Rogowski A R Taylor C F The Volumetric Efficiency of Four-Stroke Engines SAE October 1952 6 4
- Fukutani I Watanabe E An analysis of the volumetric efficiency characteristics of four stroke cycle engines using Mean Inlet Mach Number 1979 SAE - 790484
- Ohata A Ishida Y Dynamic inlet pressure and volumetric efficiency of four cycle four cylinder engine 1982 SAE - 820407
- Sung Nak W Choi Jac S Jeong Young I A study on the flow in the engine intake system 1995 SAE - 952067
- Super flow - operator's manual