This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancing Traffic Safety by Active Safety Innovations
Published October 18, 2004 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Active safety systems are designed to help the driver to avoid accidents or, if an accident is unavoidable, to mitigate accident severity. This paper describes the activities in the field of active safety pursued at the Mercedes Car Group. An accident causation analysis reveals four major types of accidents that account for the majority of fatal accidents and accidents with injuries. It is shown, how current driver assistance systems contribute to reducing these types of accidents and what future developments can be expected in this field.
CitationBreitling, T., Breuer, J., and Petersen, U., "Enhancing Traffic Safety by Active Safety Innovations," SAE Technical Paper 2004-21-0056, 2004.
- German Federal Statistical Office German Traffic Accident Statistics, preliminary Results for 2003 March 30 2004 www.destatis.de Wiesbaden, Germany German Federal Statistical Office March 2004
- German Federal Motor Transport Authority Statistics - Vehicles and Trailers www.kba.de Flensburg, Germany Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt Jan. 2004
- European Commission Eurostat Luxembourg, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities 2003
- Department U.S. of Transportation. Bureau of Transportation Statistics National Transportation Statistics 2002 Washington, DC, U.S. Government Printing Office December 2002
- Department U.S. of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration National Center for Statistics and Analysis Washington, DC, U.S. Government Printing Office December 2002
- Unselt, T. Breuer, J. Eckstein, L. 2004 Fußgängerschutz durch Bremsassistenz (Pedestrian Protection via Brake Assistance) Proceedings of “Tagung Aktive Sicherheit durch Fahrerassistenzsysteme” Technische Universität München March 11 12 2004 www.ftm.mw.tum.de/zubehoer/ pdf/Tagung_AS/14_unselt.pdf
- Unselt, T. Beier, G. Safety Benefits of Advanced Brake Light Design Gesellschaft für Arbeitswissenschaft (GfA) International Society for Occupational Ergonomics and Safety (ISOES) Federation of European Ergonomics Societies (FEES) Munich May 7 th 9 th 2003
- Trost, J. Die Vision des unfallfreien Lkws - Zukunft der aktiven Sicherheitssysteme im schweren Nutzfahrzeug The Vision of Accident-Free Trucks - The Future of Active Safety Systems in Heavy Commercial Vehicles Automatisierungs- und Assistenzsysteme für Transportmittel 4. Braunschweiger Symposium Feb. 2003 2003 244 247