This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Fault Tolerant Steer-By-Wire Steering System
Published October 18, 2004 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Steer-By-Wire will be the steering technology of the future. The mechanical connection between the hand wheel and the front axle will become obsolete. Independent electronically controlled actuators will set the road wheel steering angles and will provide force feedback to the driver. This paper presents the approach to establish a production intended steer-by-wire solution in two steps. In a first step a fail safe steer-by-wire system with a mechanical backup is developed which meets the functional and performance requirements of today's passenger vehicles. In the second step this concept is expanded to a future fault tolerant system architecture without any mechanical backup.
CitationHeitzer, D. and Seewald, A., "Development of a Fault Tolerant Steer-By-Wire Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 2004-21-0046, 2004.
- UNECE Working Party on Brakes and Running Gear (GRRF), Proposal for draft 02 series of amendments to regulation No. 79, 29 March 2004 http://www.unece.org/trans/main/welcwp29.htm
- EuRam Brite III Safety Related Fault-Tolerant Systems in Vehicles Publishable Synthesis Report XbyWire-DB-6 6-25 November 1998
- Heitzer Heinz-Dieter TRW: Heading for the Future with Steer-By-Wire 2003
- Stöger Georg Vienna TTTech Management und Verhalten vernetzter Elektroniksysteme im Kfz Handbuch zum Seminar IIR Deutschland Januar 2002
- Odenthal Dirk Bünte Tilman Oberpfaffenhofen DLR Heitzer Heinz-Dieter Eicker Christoph How To Make Steer-By-Wire Feel Like Power Steering 15th IFAC World Congress on Automatic Control Barcelona 2002
- Asai Shoji Kuroyanagi Hiroshi Toyota Central R&D Labs Takeuchi Shinji Takahashi Toshihirio Ogawa Shoji Toyoda Machine Works Development of a Steer-By-Wire System with Force Feedback Using a Disturbance Observer SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1100
- Amberkar Sanket Bolourchi Farhad Demerly Jon Millsap Scott A Control System Methodology for Steer-By-Wire Systems SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1106
- Kobe Gerry GM's Radical Ride Automotive Industries' Februar 2002