This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robustness Plan for Flex Fuel Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the steps utilized in the development of the Flex Fuel program by the Ford South America Product Development team to implement a reliability plan.
A reliability plan, understood as series of tools to avoid failure mode occurrence, is particularly important when introducing a new technology. Robustness, as the ability of a system to perform its intended function in the presence of variable operational conditions, is contained in the reliability concept and is a key aspect of this plan.
Several factors that could affect the vehicle performance were listed, classified and prioritized in order to establish a preventive action plan. The tools were used first at the vehicle level, and then cascaded down to subsystem and component level. Also, with the results of this analysis, design verification methods were enhanced to capture real world usage conditions.
Through the use of the reliability and robustness tools, the development team was able to prevent several failure modes. Some of the actions taken are described here as examples.
|Journal Article||Evaluating How Functional Performance in Aerospace Components Is Affected by Geometric Variation|
|Technical Paper||On the Timing Analysis at Automotive Real-Time Embedded Systems|
|Aerospace Standard||Reviews and Configuration Audits|
Citationde Mello, P. and Magri, M., "Robustness Plan for Flex Fuel Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3301, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3301.
- Cowart, J. Boruta, W. et al. “Powertrain Development of the 1996 Ford Flexible Fuel Taurus” SAE Paper 52751, SAE International A.F. Conference and Exposition California, USA
- Clausing, D 1994 Total Quality Development - a step-by-step guide to world-class concurrent engineering ASME Press New York
- Davis, TP “Measuring Robustness as a Parameter in a Transfer Function” SAE Paper 2004-01-1130 , SAE 2004 World Congress and Exhibition Detroit, MI
- FORD Motor Company FMEA Handbook with Robustness Linkages 1997 FORD Design Institute Dearborn, MI
- Taguchi, Genichi “Taguchi on Robust Technology Development,” ASME Press 345 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017
- Taguchi G. Systems of Experimental Design Clausing D. UNIPUB/Kraus International Publications New York 1987
- Coelho, E. Moles, C. et. al. “Fuel Injection Components Developed for Brazilian Fuels” SAE Paper 962350 , SAE Brazil 96 Congress
- Clemente, R. Werninghaus, E. et.al. “Development of an Internal Combustion Alcohol Fueled Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-3917 , SAE Brazil 2001 Congress