This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Alumina Ceramic Powder in Combustion Engine Components to Thermal Insulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a wide variety of applications, mechanical components have to operate under severe conditions, such as high load, speed or temperature and hostile chemical environment. Thus, ceramic coatings produced by thermal etching techniques are widely used for a range of industrial applications, to confer wear and erosion resistance, corrosion protection and thermal insulation. Thus, this work has as objective to deposition of the alumina ceramic powder by plasma etching in the combustion engine components (piston, valves, combustion camera), actuating such as thermal insulation to increase temperature in the combustion camera and consequently improvement of the efficiency and power. The ceramic-metal adhesion, thermal/mechanical and thermal insulation properties were evaluated by SEM and dynamometer tests, presenting promissory results related to performance and efficiency of the combustion engine recovered to ceramic powder material.
|Technical Paper||Advances in High Temperature Components for the Adiabatic Engine|
|Technical Paper||Ceramic Coatings for Aluminum Engine Blocks|
|Technical Paper||Tribologically Optimized Ceramic Coatings for Cylinder Liners in Advanced Combustion Engines|
Citationda Silva, I., Baldacim, S., Silva, O., and da Silva, C., "Application of Alumina Ceramic Powder in Combustion Engine Components to Thermal Insulation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3239, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3239.
- Jones R.L. Combust. Sci. Technol. 129 1997 185 195
- Wochni G. Splinder W. J. Eng. Gas. Turbines 110 1988 482 502
- Hajwowski T. Vacuum 65 2002 427 432
- Hajwowski T. Proc ISAPS 2 1999 211 216
- Powlowski L. The Science and Engineering of Thermal Spray Coatings Wiley Sons New York 1995
- Fridlyander J.N. Marshall I.H. Ceramic and Carbon Matrix-Composites Academician V.I. Trefilov - Chapman & Hall London 1995
- Warren R. Ceramic-matrix Composites Chapman and Hall New York 1992
- Herman H. Berndt C.C. Wang H. Plasma-Sprayed Ceramic Coatings Wachtman J.B. Haber R.A Ceramic Films and Coatings NJ 1993
- Ramm D.A.J. Clyne T.W. Sturgeon A.J. Dunkerton S. Proc. 7th National Thermal Spray Conference Boston, MA June 1994 ASM International 1994 239 243
- Hartfield-Wünsch S.E. Tung S.C. Proc. 7th National Thermal Spray Conference Boston, MA June 1994 ASM International 1994 19 24
- Niemi K. Sorsa P. Vuoristo P. Mäntylä T. Proc. 7th National Thermal Spray Conference Boston, MA June 1994 ASM International 1994 533 536
- Kamachi K. Magome M. Ueno K. Ueno G. Yoshioka T. Proc. 3rd National Thermal Spray Conference Long Beach, CA May 1990 ASM International 1991 497 501
- Hobbs M.K. Reiter H. Thermal Spray: Advances in Coatings Technology ASM International 1989 285 290
- Kingswell R. Rickerby D.S. Scott K.T. Bull S.J. Proc. 3rd National Thermal Spray Conference Long Beach, CA May 1990 ASM International 1991 179 185