This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of a Synchronization System for Control of Ground to Airplane Power Transfers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
Recent advances in the development of a more robust synchronization strategy has made it viable to propose a control system for a no-break power transfer in aerospace applications. The proposed system constitutes a combination of a multirate phase locked loop with a positive sequence detector. Synchronization to the positive sequence component, in the presence of unbalanced loads, minimizes the circulating real and reactive power. The amplitude, frequency, and phase of the airplane power source are made available. The no-break control system automatically sets the ground power unit to the frequency and phase of the aircraft power unit and adjusts its amplitude to the required level. The relays are then closed and the ground power unit is connected to the airplane load. The amplitude information is provided by an automatic gain control (AGC) loop. The AGC loop ensures that the multirate phase locked loop is insensitive to disturbances, noise, and harmonic distortion present on power lines. The experimental results indicate a 60 dB immunity to impulse noise and harmonic contamination as well as a 20 dB dynamic range.
CitationTimorabadi, H. and Dawson, F., "Application of a Synchronization System for Control of Ground to Airplane Power Transfers," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3211, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3211.
- PoWerMaster ADV, 45kVA to 180kVA Solid State Frequency Converters, Aviation Ground Equipment Corporation, HOBART GROUND POWER, URL: http://www.buygse.com/
- Rinaldi, M. R. and Baker, D. E. “Rationale behind In-Process Changes to Constant and Variable Frequency Power Quality Standards”, Sundstrand Aerospace, SAE Aerospace Power Systems Conference, P-307, Library number TL 691 95534-997X c.1 ENGI.
- MIL-STD-704E, “MILITARY STANDARD: Aircraft Electric Power Characteristics”, Document provided by IHS Honeywell ASCa Inc., May 1, 1991, Superseding MIL-STD-704D September 30, 1990.
- Andrade L. and Tenning, C. “Design of the Boeing 777 Electric System”, Aerospace and Electronics Systems Magazine, IEEE, Volume: 7, Issue: 7, July 1992, Pages: 4–11.
- Breit J. S. and Doty, J. H. “Aircraft No-Break Power Transfer Revisited”, Aerospace and Electronics Conference, Proceedings of the IEEE Vol. 1, Pages: 410–416, May 1990.
- Jensen, U. B. Blaabjerg, F. and Pedersen, J. K. “A New Control Method for 400-Hz Ground Power Units for Airplanes”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 36, NO. 1, January/February 2000.
- Basile, G. L. Buso, S. Fasolo, S. Tenti, P. and Tomasin, P. “A 400 Hz, 100 kVA, Digitally Controlled UPS for Airport Installations”, Industry Applications Conference, Conference Record of the 2000 IEEE, Vol. 4, Pages: 2261–2268 Oct. 2000.
- Pavljasevic, S. “Synchronization to Disturbed AC Utility Network Signals in Power Electronics Applications”, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, 2002.
- Pavljasevic S. and Dawson, F. P. “Phase Synchronization Using Zero Crossing Sampling Digital Phase-Locked Loop”, Proceedings of the Power Conversion Conference, Osaka, Japan, April, 2002, pp: 665–670.
- TMS320C31 User’s Guide, Texas Instruments, Literature number: SPRU031E 2558539-9761 revision L, July 1997.
- Blackburn, J. L. “Symmetrical Components for Power System Engineering”, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1993.
- Li C. and Dawson, F. P. “A New Algorithm for Fast Retrieval of Sequence Components in 3-Phase Networks”, Proceedings of the Power Conversion Conference, Osaka, Japan, April, 2002, pp: 1357–1362.
- Li, C. “An Integrated Signal Acquisition and Filtering Scheme for Power Applications”, MASc. Thesis, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, 2002.
- Altera Corporation, Altera Stratix EP1S80 DSP Development Board Data Sheet, July 2003, version 1.2, URL: http://www.altera.com