This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Algorithm for the Optimal Allocation of Subsystem Simulations within a Distributed Heterogeneous Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
An allocation algorithm for optimally assigning the various subsystem simulations, within a distributed heterogeneous simulation, to a specific set of computational resources has been developed. This algorithm uses a cost function that approximates the simulation execution time for each of the subsystems based upon the model complexity and the performance parameters of the available computer resources. The cost function is then evaluated to determine the optimal allocation that ensures the overall simulation execution time is minimized. In this paper, the allocation algorithm is applied to a large-scale power-electronic-based aircraft electrical power system. This study system is comprised of ten component simulations that together are modeled by 85 state variables and include 74 switching devices. Both optimal and sub-optimal allocations are considered and the predicted simulation run times are verified experimentally.
CitationLucas, C., Walters, E., Wasynczuk, O., and Lamm, P., "An Algorithm for the Optimal Allocation of Subsystem Simulations within a Distributed Heterogeneous Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3183, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3183.
- Lucas, C. E. Parallel-Rates Integration of Large-Scale Power-Electronics-Based Systems Ph.D. Thesis School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University 2003
- Lucas, C. E. Walters, E. A. Jatskevich, J. Wasynczuk, O. Lamm, P. T. Neeves, T. E. “Distributed Heterogeneous Simulation of Naval Integrated Power System,” American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE), Electric Machine Technology Symposium (EMTS) 2004 January 27–29 2004 Philadelphia, PA
- Lucas, C. E. Walters, E. A. Jatskevich, J. Wasynczuk, O. Lamm P. T. “A Distributed Heterogeneous Simulation of a Representative Aircraft Power System,” 2002 SAE Power Systems Conference Proceedings October 29–31 2002 Coral Springs Florida
- Crow M. L. Chen, J. G. “The Multirate Method for Simulation of Power System Dynamics,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 9 no. 3 1684 1690 August 1994
- Crow M. L. Chen, J. G. “The Multirate Simulation of FACTS Devices in Power System Dynamics,” IEEE Transactions of Power Systems 11 no. 1 376 382 February 1996
- Toshiji, K. Takeshi, K. “Computer-Aided Analysis of Power Electronic Circuits by a New Multirate Method,” IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference 1998 2 1076 1083
- Kumar, V. Grama, A. Gupta, A. Karypis, G. Introduction to Parallel Computing: Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company 1994
- Burrage, K. Parallel and Sequential Methods for Ordinary Differential Equations Oxford Press 1995
- Curnow, H. J. Wichmann, B. A. “A Synthetic Benchmark,” Computer Journal 19 No. 1 1976
- Kreher, D. L. Stinson, D. R. Combinatorial Algorithms: Generation, Enumeration, and Search CRC Press 1999
- Coffman, E. G. Jr. Lueker, G. S. Probabilistic Analysis of Packing and Partitioning Algorithms Wiley & Sons 1991
- Advanced Continuous Simulation Language AEgis Technologies Huntsville, Alabama http://www.aegistg.com