This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology for the Conceptual Design Process of Morphing Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditional historical-data based design processes are clearly inappropriate for morphing vehicles. There are no historical data for these type of configurations, the appropriate mission for this class of vehicles is unknown, and there are many unique aspects of a morphing vehicle that are dependent on the specific concept chosen. The design process proposed in this paper attempts to account for these difficulties in a flexible and transparent manner while leveraging existing tools and processes wherever possible.
- Carl Johnson - Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Nicolas Schellpfeffer - Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Diana Talley - Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Dimitri N. Mavris - Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
CitationJohnson, C., Schellpfeffer, N., Talley, D., and Mavris, D., "Methodology for the Conceptual Design Process of Morphing Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3127, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3127.
- Weiss, Peter “Wings of Change.” Science News 6 Dec 2003 164 23
- Marks, P. “The Next 100 Years of Flight - Part 2” NewScientist.com December 17 2003 http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994484
- Koch, P.N. Mavris, D.N. Mistree, F. “Multi-Level, Partitioned Response Surfaces for Modeling Complex Systems,” 7th AIAA/USAF/NASA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization St. Louis, MO September 2-4 1998
- Khuri, A.I. Cornell, J.A. Response Surfaces: Design and Analysis Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1987
- McCullers, L.A. “Flight Optimization System” NASA Langley Research Center Hampton, VA April 2001
- Hollingsworth, P. Mavris, D.N. “A Technique for Use of Gaussian Processes in Advanced Meta-modeling” SAE International, 2003-01-3051
- Daberkow, D.D. Mavris, D.N. “New Approaches to Conceptual and Preliminary Aircraft Design: A Comparative Assessment of a Neural Network Formulation and a Response Surface Methodology” 1998 World Aviation Conference Anaheim, CA September 28-30 1998
- “Materials Technology” Cornerstone Research Group June 25 2004 http://www.crgrp.net/materialsportfolio.htm