This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation of an Integrated Retrofit Failure Detection, Identification and Reconfiguration (FDIR) System Using High-Fidelity and Piloted Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 2, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the results obtained under a NASA Dryden Phase II Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) project are described. At Scientific Systems Company, Inc. (SSCI) we developed an efficient Integrated Failure Detection, Identification and Reconfiguration (FDIR) system referred to as the FLARE (Fast on-Line Actuator REconfiguration) system. The FLARE system achieves very fast detection and identification of failures in Electro-Mechanical Actuators (EMA), and effective control reconfiguration in the presence of single or multiple failures and recoveries even while rejecting external disturbances. The FLARE system combines different FDIR algorithms with a disturbance rejection mechanism within a retrofit control architecture. In collaboration with Boeing Phantom Works, the performance of the FLARE system has been extensively evaluated using high-fidelity and piloted simulators.
CitationBošković, J., Bergstrom, S., Mehra, R., Urnes, J. et al., "Performance Evaluation of an Integrated Retrofit Failure Detection, Identification and Reconfiguration (FDIR) System Using High-Fidelity and Piloted Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3115, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3115.
- Ahmed-Zaid F., Ioannou P., Gousman K. and Rooney R., “Accommodation of Failures in the F-16 Aircraft using Adaptive Control”, IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 73-78, January 1991.
- Bodson M. and Groszkiewicz J., “Multivariable Adaptive Algorithms for Reconfigurable Flight Control”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 217-229, March 1997.
- Boeing Phantom Works, “Reconfigurable Systems for Tailless Fighter Aircraft - RESTORE (First Draft)”, Contract No. F33615-96-C-3612, Scientific and Technical Reports, System Design Report, CDRL Sequence No. A007, St. Louis, Missouri, May 1998.
- Bošsković J. D., Bergstrom S. E. and Mehra R. K., “Aircraft Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) and Adaptive Reconfigurable Control (ARC) System”, Final Report for NASA DFRC Phase II SBIR, Contract No. NAS4-02017, March 2004.
- Bošković J. D. and Mehra R. K., “Intelligent Adaptive Control of a Tailless Advanced Fighter Aircraft under Wing Damage”, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control & Dynamics, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 876-884, September-October 2000.
- Bošković J. D. and Mehra R. K., “An Adaptive Scheme for Compensation of Loss of Effectiveness of Flight Control Effectors”, in Proceedings of the 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Orlando, FL, December 2001.
- Bošković J. D. and Mehra R. K., “An Adaptive Retrofit Reconfigurable Flight Controller”, in Proceedings of the 2002 Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10-13, 2002.
- Bošković J. D. and Mehra R. K., “A Multiple Model Adaptive Flight Control Scheme for Accommodation of Actuator Failures”, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control & Dynamics, Vol 25, No. 4, pp. 712-724, July-August, 2002.
- Bošković J. D. and Mehra R. K., “Robust Fault-Tolerant Control Design for Aircraft Under State-Dependent Disturbances”, in Proceedings of the 2003 AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Austin, TX, August 11-14, 2003.
- Bošković J. D. and Mehra R. K., “A Decentralized Scheme for Autonomous Compensation of Multiple Simultaneous Flight-Critical Failures”, in Proceedings of the 2002 AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Monterey, California, 5-8 August 2002.
- Brinker J. and Wise K., “Reconfigurable Flight Control of a Tailless Advanced Fighter Aircraft”, in Proceedings of the 1998 AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 75-87, Boston, MA, August 10-12, 1998.
- Calise A., Lee S. and Sharma M., “Direct Adaptive Reconfigurable Control of a Tailless Fighter Aircraft”, in Proceedings of the 1998 AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 88-97, Boston, MA, August 10-12, 1998.
- Chandler P., Pachter M. and Mears M., “System Identification for Adaptive and Reconfigurable Control”, Journal of Guidance, Control & Dynamics, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 516-524, May-June 1995.
- Hodgkinson J. and Mitchell D., “Handling Qualities”, in Flight Control Systems: Practical Issues in Design and Implementation, edited by Pratt Roger W., Chapter 4, pp. 119-169, IEEE/TJ International, Cornwall, GB, 2000.
- Wise K., “Boeing/DARPA UCAV Program Highlights”, Boeing Phantom Works, St. Louis, MO, January 2000.