This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Forming Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal Acoustic Protective Shields (TAPS) serves dual purpose. They provide a thermal barrier, which protects sensitive components from the exhaust manifold radiated energy. They also act as an acoustic insulator, which reduces the amount of sound power transmitted from the engine to the environment.
The design of multi layered TAPS has, until recently, relied on trial and error or simplified numerical analyses. The following work describes efforts to develop a comprehensive numerical methodology for the initial forming of the components, which accounts for most of the physics of the problem. The simulation accounts for the complete forming operations of the part, i.e. edge folding, multi layer assembly, edge crimping, beading, and final forming.
Non-linear effects are accounted for such as interlayer frictional dissipation, plastic anisotropy and self-contact.
Further, to insure the TAPS will meet the performance requirements, modal analysis, Harmonic and Durability analyses are included in the development cycle. Therefore, they are also discussed in the paper.
- Frank Popielas - Sealing Products Division, Dana Corporation
- Pedro Bastias - Sealing Products Division, Dana Corporation
- Juergen Schneider - Sealing Products Division, Dana Corporation
- Harald Rebien - Sealing Products Division, Dana Corporation
- Calin Matias - Sealing Products Division, Dana Corporation
- Colin Chen - Sealing Products Division, Dana Corporation
CitationPopielas, F., Bastias, P., Schneider, J., Rebien, H. et al., "Forming Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2969, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2969.
- CAE Approach for TAPS (part 1) SAE 2001-01-0684 Boogemans Mark Chen Colin Matias Calin Minkov Marsha Moffatt Ryan Popielas Frank
- CAE Approach for TAPS - Part 2 SAE 2004-01-0410 Popielas Frank Ramkumar Rohit DiGregorio Anthony Chen Colin Boogemans Mark Rebien Harald
- NVH and Modal Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields (TAPS) SAE 2004-01-0416 Popielas Frank Lu Y. Charles Krishna Murali M. R. Chen Colin Oxenknecht Ernest