This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Diesel Fuel Injection Dynamics Using MATLAB
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference & Exhibition 2004 Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference & Exhibition
This paper describes the modeling and dynamic simulation of a diesel fuel injection system. It encompasses a physical and conceptual model, a mathematical model describing the system dynamics, algorithm selection and numerical solution of the equations, and then a computer program is developed using a modular approach to investigate the behavior of the system dynamics. The program implements the numerical solution of ordinary differential equations for plunger and needle dynamics and the partial differential equations for transient flow in high-pressure pipe line. The fuel injection equipment (FIE) build and engine conditions are required as input data and results are presented in the form of graphs and tabulated data. The continuity and momentum equations for pump-pipe-nozzle system have been solved by the computer simulation program employing the method of characteristics for the transient flow in the pipeline and backward differentiation formulas for needle and plunger dynamics. The computer simulation program is written in Matlab programming language.
CitationGullaksen, J., "Simulation of Diesel Fuel Injection Dynamics Using MATLAB," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2966, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2966.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Arcoumanis, C. and Fairbrother, R. J., Computer Simulation of Fuel Injection Systems for DI Diesel Engines, Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine, SAE paper 922223.
- Baniasad, M. S., Analysis of Fuel Injection Rate in Diesel Injection Systems, PhD. Thesis, Imperial College, University of London, 1994.
- Becchi, G. A. Analytic Simulation of Fuel Injection in Diesel Engines, Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE paper 7210568, Mid-Year Meeting, Montreal, Que., Can., June 7-11, 1971.
- El-Erian, Mohamed F., Wylie, E. Benjamin, Bolt, Jay A., University of Michigan. Analysis and Control of Transient Flow in the Diesel Injection System: Part I - The Analytic Control Method. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE paper 730661, 1973.
- El-Erian, Mohamed F., Wylie, E. Benjamin, Bolt, Jay A., University of Michigan. Analysis and Control of Transient Flow in the Diesel Injection System: Part II - Design Results of Controlled After-Injection. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE paper 730662, 1973.
- El-Erian, Mohamed Fathy. Simulation and Control of Transient Flow in the Diesel Injection System. The University of Michigan, Ph.D., 1972, Engineering, mechanical.
- Gibson, Dennis H. A Flexible Fuel Injection Simulation. SAE Technical Paper Series 861567, International Fuels and Lubrications Meeting and Exposition, Philadelfia, Pennsylvania, October 6-9, 1986.
- Goyal, Madan. Modular Approach to Fuel Injection System Simulation. SAE Technical Paper Series 780162, Congress and Exposition, Cobo Hall, Detroit, February 27-March 3, 1978.
- Hountalas, D. T. & Kouremenos, A. D. Development of a fast and simple simulation model for the fuel injection system of diesel engines. Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 13-28, 1998.
- Kumar, K., Gaur, R.R., Garg, R.D., Babu, M.K.G. A Finite Difference Scheme for the Simulation of a Fuel Injection System, Internationsl Off-Highway Meeting & Exposition, Milwaukee, Wisnonsin, September 12-15, 1983, SAE Technical Paper 831337.
- Matsui, Yukio, Hasegawa, Manabu, Kawashima, Junichi. Analysis of injection rate characteristics of fuel injection systems in IDI diesel engines using an enhanced numerical simulation code. JSAE Review 17 (1996) 3-9.
- Matsuoka, Shin, Yokota, Katsukiko, Kamimota, Takeyuki, Igoshi, Masanori. A Study of Fuel Injection in Diesel Engines. SAE 760551, Part I-II, Fuels and Lubricants meeting, St. LMissouri, June 7-10, 1976.
- Wylie, E. Benjamin, Bolt, Jay A., and El-Erian, Mohamed F., University of Michigan. Diesel Fuel Injection System and Experimental Correlation. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE paper 710569, 1971.
- Wylie, E. Benjamin, Streeter, Victor L. Fluid Transients. McGraw-Hill, 1978.