This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Variable Valve Timing Events and Their Effects on Single Cylinder Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The motivation of this paper is to describe the effects of variable valve timing (VVT) events on diesel engine performances. The paper describes an investigation into the effects of inlet and exhaust valve gas dynamics. In particular, effects on the pressure-volume cycle, and reverse flow through the intake and exhaust valves are studied. Computer simulation results show that VVT is much more useful for gasoline engines as compared with diesel engines for reducing the pumping losses. But, for diesel engines, VVT could be useful for the reduction of exhaust emissions such as NOx by using internal exhaust gas recirculation. The role of VVT in gasoline and diesel engines are described and compared.
CitationParvate-Patil, G., Hong, H., and Gordon, B., "Analysis of Variable Valve Timing Events and Their Effects on Single Cylinder Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2965, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2965.
- Lancefield, T. Methely, I. Rase, U. Kuhn, T. “The Application of Variable Event Timing to a Modern Diesel Engine” SAE paper no. 2000-01-1229
- Tai, C. Tsao, T. Schorn, N. Levin, M. “Increasing Torque Output from a Turbodiesel with Camless Valvetrain” SAE paper no. 2002-01-1108
- Endo, S. Otani, T. Kakinal, A. “An Improvement of Pumping Loss of High Boosted Diesel Engines” SAE paper no. 885102
- Hu, H. Israel, M. Vorih, M. “Variable Valve Actuation and Diesel Engine Retarding Performance” SAE paper no. 970342
- Benajes, J. Reyes, E. Lujan, J. “Intake Valve Pre-lift Effect on the Performance of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine” SAE paper no. 960950
- Stas, M. “Effect of Exhaust Blowdown Period on Pumping Losses in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE paper no. 1999-01-0188
- Charlton, S. J. Stone, C. R. Elliott, C. Newman, M. J. “Transient Simulation of a Highly Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Variable Valve Timing” IMechE 1991
- Siewert, R.M. “How Individual Valve Timing Events Affect Exhaust Emissions” SAE paper no. 710609
- Asmus, T.W. “Valve Events and Engine Operation” SAE paper no. 820749
- Fukutani, I. Watanabe, E. “An Analysis of the Volumetric Efficiency Characteristics of 4- Stroke Cycle Engines Using the Mean Inlet Mach Number Mim” SAE paper no. 790484