This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
3-D Modeling of Conventional and HCCI Combustion Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation of the possibility to extend the 3-dimensional modeling capabilities from conventional diesel to the HCCI combustion mode simulation was carried out. Experimental data was taken from a single cylinder engine operating with early injections for the HCCI and a split-injection (early pilot+main) for the high speed Diesel engine operation. To properly phase the HCCI mode in the experiments, high amounts of cooled EGR and a decreased compression ratio were used. In numerical simulation performed using KIVA3-V code, modified to incorporate the Detailed Chemistry Approach the same conditions were reproduced. Special attention is paid on the analysis of the events leading up to the auto-ignition, which was reasonably well predicted.
CitationGustavsson, J., Golovitchev, V., and Helmantel, A., "3-D Modeling of Conventional and HCCI Combustion Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2964, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2964.
- Stanglmaier, R.H., Roberts, C.E., Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engine Applications. SAE Paper, SAE 1999-01-3682, 1999.
- Walter, B., Gatellier, B., Development of the High Power NADITM Concept Using Dual Mode Diesel Combustion to Achieve Zero NOx and Particulate Emissions. SAE Paper, SAE 2002-01-1744, 2002.
- Su, W., Lin, T., Pei, Y., A Compound Technology for HCCI Combustion in a DI Diesel Engine Based on the Multi-Pulse Injection and the BUMP Combustion Chamber. SAE Paper, SAE 2003-01-0741.
- Akagawa H., Miyamoto, T., Harada, A., Sasaki, S., Shimazaki, N., Hashizume, T., Tsujimura, K., Approaches to Solve Problems of the Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion. SAE Paper, SAE1999-01-0183.
- Ryan, T.W., Callahan, T.J., Homogeneous Charge Ignition of Diesel Fuel. SAE Paper, SAE 961160, 1996.
- Takeda, Y., Keiichi, N., Keiichi, N., Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection. SAE Paper, SAE 961163, 1996.
- Hasegawa, R., Yanagihara, H., HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine. SAE Paper, SAE 2003-01-0745, 2003.
- Iwabuchi, Y., Kawai, K., Shoji, T., Takeda, Y., Trial of a New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignition Combustion. SAE Paper, SAE 1999-01-0185, 1999.
- Suzuki, H., Koike, N., Ishii, H., Odaka, M., Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 1: Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Behavior Under Pre-Mixed Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Method. SAE Paper, SAE 970313, 1997.
- Ishima, T., Matsuda, T., Shiga, S., Araki, M., Nakamura, H., Obokata, T., Characteristics of HCCI Diesel Combustion Operated with a Hollow Cone Spray. SAE Paper, SAE 2003-01-1823, 2003.
- Chen, S.K., Simultataneous Reduction of Nox and Particulate Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Small Diesel Engine, SAE paper 2000-01-3084, (2000)
- Juneja, H., Ra, Y., Reitz, R.D., Optimazation of Injection Rate Shaping using Active Control of fuel Injection, SAE paper 04P-101, (2004)
- Helmantel, A., Denbratt, I., Somhorst, J., Visualization of the Effects of Post Injection and Swirl on the Combustion Process of a Passenger Car Commmon Rail Diesel Engine, ASME paper, ICES2003-622, (2003)
- Helmantel, A., Denbratt, I., “HCCI Operation of a Passenger Car Common Rail DI Diesel Engine with Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel”, SAE Paper 2004-01-0935, 2004
- Cathonnet, M., “Advances and Challenges in the Chemical Kinetics of Combustion”, Proceedings of the European Combustion Meeting 2003 (2003)
- Golovitchev, V.I., http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/∼valeri/MECH (2004)
- Golovitchev, V.I., Tao, F., and Chomiak, J., Numerical Evaluation of Soot Formation Control at Diesel-Like Conditions by Reducing Fuel Injection Timing, SAE Paper 01-3552 (1999)
- Curran, H.J., Gaffuri, P., Pitz, W.J., and Westbrook, C.K., A Comprehensive Modeling Study of n-Heptane Oxidation, Combustion and Flame, 114, 149-177 (1998)
- Howard, J.B., http://web.mit.edu/anish/www/MITcom.html, (2001)
- Kee, R.J., Rupley, F.M., and Miller, J.A., Chemkin-II: A Fortran Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gas Phase Kinetics, Sandia Report SAND89-8009B, UC-706, (1992)
- Amsden A.A., KIVA-3: A KIVA Program with Block-Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries, LA-12503-MS (1993)
- Amsden A.A., KIVA-3v: A Block-structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves, LA-13313-MS, July (1997)
- Lutz, A.E., Kee, R.J., Miller, J.A., SENKIN: A Fortran Program For Predicting Homogeneous Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics With Sensitivity Analysis, SAND87-8248, Sandia National Laboratories (1994)
- Fieweger, K., Blumenthal, R., Adomeit G., Shock-Tube Investigations on the Self-Ignition of Hydrocarbon-Air Mixtures at High Pressures, Twenty-Fifth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, pp. 1579-1585, (1994)
- Gustavsson. J., Golovitchev, V. I., Spray Combustion Simulation Based on Detailed Chemistry Approach for Diesel Fuel Surrogate Model, SAE paper 2003-01-1848, (2003)
- Burcat, A., Snyder, C., Brabbs., Ignition Delay Times of Benzene and toluene With Oxygen in Argon Mixtures, NASA Technical Memorandum, N86-25431, (1986)
- Glarborg, P., Kee, R.J., Grcar, J.F., and Miller, J.A., PSR: A Fortran Program for Modeling Well-Stirred Reactors, SAND86-8209, Sandia National Laboratories (1992)
- Dagaut, P., Pengloan, G., Ristori, A., Oxidation, Ignition, and Combustion of Toluene: Experimental and Detailed Kinetic Modeling, Phys. Chem. Chem.Phys. pp. 1846-1854, (2002)
- Nordin, N., Complex Chemistry Modeling of Diesel Spray Combustion, CTH, PhD Thesis, Göteborg, 2001
- Schmidt, D.P., Rutland, C.J., A New Droplet Collision Algorithm, Journal of Comput. Phys., 164:62-80, (2000)
- Gustavsson, J., Golovitchev, V.I., 3D Simulation of Multiple Injections in DI Diesel Engine, The Sixth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA (2004) to be published
- Wiartalla, A., Bäker, H., Brüggeman, D. and Koss, H., Influence of Spray Development and Fuel Quality on Soot Formation and Oxidation, JOULE-0008-D (AM) Report (1992)
- Bäcker, H., Wiartalla, A., Dürnolz, M., Investigation of Spray Propagation, Combustion and Soot Formation by Optical Measurement Techniques for Diesel Engine Fuels in a Model Combustion Chamber, 21'st International Congress on Combustion Engines, Interlaken, (1995)
- Dec, J.E., Conceptual model of DI diesel combustion based on laser-sheet imaging, Proceedings of the 1997 International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, USA, SAE, (1997)
- O'Rourke, P. J., Collective Drop Effects on Vaporizing Liquid Sprays, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Eng., Princeton University, (1981).