This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement and Analysis of Rotor In-plane Mode Induced Disc Brake Squeal and Beyond
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper provides measurement and analysis on rotor in-plane mode induced squeal. Methodology is presented to simultaneously acquire both temporal and spatial squeal operational deflection shapes (ODS). Rotor accelerations both in the in-plane and out-of-plane directions were measured during squeal along with rotor's normal ODS using a laser vibrometer. Modal measurement and analysis of the rotor and pad in the in-plane and out-of-plane directions were conducted as installed in system condition. The test results indicating rotor modal coupling in the in-plane are provided, and out-of-plane directions, and conclusions on in-plane mode induced squeal are proposed. In addition, the countermeasure for squeal reduction is discussed.
CitationChen, F., Mckillip, D., Luo, J., and Wu, S., "Measurement and Analysis of Rotor In-plane Mode Induced Disc Brake Squeal and Beyond," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2798, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2798.
- Matsuzaki M. Izumihara T. “Brake Noise Caused by Longitudinal Vibration of the Disc Rotor” SAE 930804 1993
- Hideyuki Kai Toshitaka Suga Haruhisa Baba “Study on Reduction of Brake Squeal Caused by In plane Vibration of Rotor” JSAE Conf. Proc. Paper No. 9833566 1998-5
- Tzou K. I. Wickert J. A. Akay A. “In-Plane Vibration Modes of Arbitrarily Thick Disks” Joural of Vibration and Acoustics, Transactions of the ASME 120 384 391 1998
- Brent Dunlap K. Riehle M. A. Longhouse R. E. “An Investigative Overview of Automotive Disc Brake Noise” SAE 1999-01-0142 1999
- Chen F. Chen S. E. Harwood P. “In-Plane Mode, Friction Process & Their Contribution to Disc Brake Squeal at High Frequency” SAE 2000-01-2773 2000
- Haruhisa Baba Takahisa Wada Takashi Takagi “Study on Reduction Squeal Caused by In-Plane Vibration on Rotor” SAE 2001-01-3158 2001
- Shi T. S. Dessouki O. Warzecha T. Chang W. K. Jayasundera A. “Advances in Complex Eigenvalue Analysis for Brake Noise” SAE 2001-01-1603 2001
- Park C. Han M. G. Cho S. S. Choi H. G. Jeong J. D. Lee J. M. “A Study on the Reduction of Disc Brake Squeal Using Complex Eigenvalue Analysis” SAE 2001-01-3141 2001
- Chen F. Tan C. A. Quaglia R. L. “On Automotive Disc Brake Squeal Part I: Mechanisms and Causes” SAE paper 2003-01-0683 2003
- Yang M. Afaneh A. H. Blaschke P. “A Study of Disc Brake High Frequency Squeals and Disc In-plane/Out-of-plane Modes” 2003-01-1621 2003
- Moondra M.S. Wu S.F. Beniwal R. Mazza S. Chen F. Chen S.E. “Visualizing Brake Squeal and Out-of-plane Modes Using HELS” Noise-Con July 12 2004