This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Friction-Induced Damping and Nonlinear Effects on Brake Squeal Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents numerical studies of friction-induced instabilities of brake systems using complex mode analysis. The complex eigenvalue extraction is performed at a deformed configuration; thus, nonlinear effects are taken into account in the modal analysis. An example case is used to illustrate the importance of friction-induced damping and nonlinear effects in brake squeal analysis. It is found that the inclusions of lining wear, geometric nonlinearities, and positive as well as negative frictional damping effects have significant influence on the brake squeal predictions.
CitationBajer, A., Belsky, V., and Kung, S., "The Influence of Friction-Induced Damping and Nonlinear Effects on Brake Squeal Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2794, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2794.
- Bajer, A. Belsky V. Zeng L. J. “Combining a Nonlinear Static Analysis and Complex Eigenvalue Extraction in Brake Squeal Simulation,” SAE paper 2003-01-3349
- Nack, W. V. Joshi A. M. “Friction Induced Vibration: Brake Moan,” SAE Paper 951095
- Kung, S. W. Dunlap K. B. Ballinger R. S. “Complex Eigenvalue Analysis for Reducing Low Frequency Squeal,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0444
- Lee, L. Xu K. Malott B. Matsuzaki M. Lou G. “A Systematic Approach to Brake Squeal Simulation using MacNeal Method,” SAE paper 2002-01-2610 2002
- Hamzeh, O. N. Tworzydlo W. Chang H. J. Fryska S. “Analysis of Friction-Induced Instabilities in a Simplified Aircraft Brake,” SAE Brake Colloquium 1999
- Moirot, F. C. Nehme A. Nguyen Q. C. “Numerical Simulation to Detect Low-Frequency Squeal Propensity,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2767
- Kung, S. W. Stelzer G. Belsky V. Bajer A. “Brake Squeal Analysis Incorporating Contact Conditions and Other Nonlinear Effects,” SAE paper 2003-01-3343
- Shi, T. S. Dessouki O. Warzecha T. Chang W. K. Jayasundera A. “Advances in Complex Eigenvalue Analysis for Brake Noise,” SAE paper 2001-01-1603
- Kung, S. W. Stelzer G. Smith K. A. “A Study on Low Frequency Drum Brake Squeal,” SAE paper 2004-01-2787
- ABAQUS Theory Manual, Version 6.5 2004
- ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual Version 6.5 2004