This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of the Notch Shape and Number on Proportional Directional Control Valve Metering Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 26, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper investigates, by means of a 3D, steady-state, incompressible and isothermal CFD analysis, the influence of the notch shape and number on proportional directional control valves metering edge characteristics. The numerical activity is firstly performed for a sharp metering edge, considered as reference case.
Then, different configurations of notched metering edges are considered, coming from the adoption of two notch geometrical shapes largely used in proportional directional control valves actual design, and from a symmetrical displacement of two, three and four notches on the spool periphery. For all the cases considered, the qualitative analysis of the internal flow field is performed in order to highlight the fluid efflux main characteristics.
After, a quantitative analysis of the metering characteristics is introduced, with the aim of determining the influence of the metering configuration, of the spool position and of the operating conditions on the efflux characteristics (the discharge coefficient and the jet angle).
CitationBorghi, M., Milani, M., and Paltrinieri, F., "The Influence of the Notch Shape and Number on Proportional Directional Control Valve Metering Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2619, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2619.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V113-2; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-2; Published: 2005-07-05
- Blackburn J.F. Reethof G. Shearer J.L. Fluid Power Control M.I.T. Technology Press & John Wiley & Sons 1960
- Merrit H. E. Hydraulic Control Systems John Wiley & Sons 1967
- Viersma T.J. Analysis, Synthesis and Design of Hydraulic Servosystems and Pipelines Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co. 1980
- Idelchick Handbook of Hydraulic Resistance Springer-Verlag 1983
- Johnston D.N. Edge K.A. Vaughan N.D. Experimental Investigation of Flow and Force Characteristics of Hydraulic Poppet and Disk Valves – Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 205 Part A Journal of Power and Energy 161 171 1991
- Lugowsky J. Experimental Investigation on the Origin of Flow Forces in Hydraulic Piston Valves 10th International Conference on Fluid Power BHRA Brugges April 1993
- Ferretti G. Paoluzzi R. Zarotti G.L. CFD Flow Analysis of Steady-State Flow Forces on Valves - Proceedings of the 2nd ISFP Shanghai, China 1995
- Palumbo A. Paoluzzi R. Borghi M. Milani M. Forces on a Hydraulic Valve Spool - Proceedings of the Third JHPS International Symposium on Fluid Power 543 548 Yokohama 4–6 November 1996
- Borghi M. Cantore G. Milani M. Paoluzzi R. Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Forces on a Hydraulic Distributor Proceedings of The Fifth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP ‘97 I 83 98 Lingkoeping, Sweden 28–30 May 1997
- Borghi M. Cantore G. Milani M. Paoluzzi R. Analysis of Hydraulic Components Using Computational Fluid Dynamics Models Paper C09297 - Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 212 (7), Part C Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 619 629 1998
- Borghi M. Milani M. Paoluzzi R. Stationary axial flow force analysis on compensated spool valves International Journal of Fluid Power 1 1 17 25 2000
- Del Vescovo G. Lippolis A. Flow Forces Analysis on a Four-Way Valve Proceedings of the 2nd International FPNI Ph.D. Symposium on Fluid Power 88-88679-00-6 Modena, Italy 3–5 July 2002
- Del Vescovo, G. Lippolis A. 2003 Three Dimensional analysis of flow forces on directional control valves International Journal of Fluid Power 4 Number 2 July 2003