This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing of a Miniature Loop Heat Pipe Using a Thermal Electrical Cooler for Temperature Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 19, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the design and testing of a miniature loop heat pipe (LHP) having a 7 mm outer diameter (O.D.) evaporator with an integral compensation chamber (CC). The vapor line and liquid line are made of 1.59mm O.D. stainless steel tubing. A thermoelectric (TEC) is installed on the CC and the hot side of the TEC is connected to the evaporator through a copper strap. By changing the direction of the electric current provided by a bi-polar power supply, the TEC can heat or cool the CC. Tests performed in the laboratory included start-up, power cycle, sink temperature cycle, and CC temperature control with the test article being placed in horizontal and vertical positions. The LHP demonstrated very robust operation in all tests where the heat load varied between 0.5W and 140W, and the sink temperature varied between 243K and 293K. The heat leak from the evaporator to the CC was extremely small. The TEC was able to control the CC temperature within ± 0.3K under all test conditions, and the required control heater power was less than 1W.
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel, Mechanical Tubing 0.50Cr - 0.55Ni - 0.25Mo (0.38 - 0.43C) (SAE 8740)|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel, Mechanical Tubing 0.95Cr - 0.20Mo (0.38 - 0.43C) (SAE 4140)|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel Bars, Forgings, and Tubing 1.1Si - 1.45Cr - 1.0Mo - 0.08Al (0.16 - 0.22C) Double Vacuum Melted|
CitationKu, J., Jeong, S., and Butler, D., "Testing of a Miniature Loop Heat Pipe Using a Thermal Electrical Cooler for Temperature Control," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2505, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2505.
- Maidanik, Y. F., et al. “Heat Transfer Apparatus,” 1985
- Ku, J “Operating Characteristics of Loop Heat Pipes,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-2007 , 29 th International Conference on Environmental Systems July 12–15 1999 Denver Colorado
- Khrustalev, D. Semenov, S. “Advances in Low-Temperature, Cryogenic, and Miniature Loop Heat Pipes,” 14 th Spacecraft Thermal Control workshop March 11–13 2003 El-Segunda, California
- Maidanik, Y. F. Solodovnik, N. N. Fershtater Y. G. “Investigation of Dynamic and Stationary Characteristics of a Loop Heat Pipe,” IX International Heat Pipe Conference May 1–5 1995 Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Ku, J. Ottenstein, L. Rogers, P. Cheung K. “Low Power Operation of a Loop Heat Pipe,” 31 st International Conference on Environmental Systems July 9–12 2001 Orlando, Florida
- Cheung, M. Hoang, T. Ku, J. Kaya, T “Thermal Performance and Operational Characteristics of Loop Heat Pipe (NRL LHP),” SAE Paper No. 981813 , 28th International Conference on Environmental Systems July 13–16 1998 Danvers, Massachusetts
- Kaya, T. Ku, J. “Investigation of the Temperature Hysteresis Phenomenon of a Loop Heat Pipe,” 1999 National Heat Transfer Conference August 15–17 1999 Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Wolf, D. Bienert, W. “Investigation of Temperature Control Characteristics of Loop Heat Pipe,” SAE Paper No. 941576 , 24th International Conference on Environmental Systems July 20–23 1994 Friedrichshafen, Germany
- Nikitkin, M. N. Kotlyarov, E. Y. Serov G. P. “Basics of loop Heat Pipe Temperature Control,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-2012 , 29 th International Conference on Environmental Systems July 12–15 1999 Denver Colorado
- Goncharov, K “Some Special Features of LHP Designing for Space Applications,” International Two-Phase Thermal Control Workshop June 7–8 2001 El-Segunda, California