This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Pressure Rotating Reverse Osmosis for Wastewater Recycling in Long Term Space Missions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 19, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A promising technology for recycling wastewater on long term space missions is rotating reverse osmosis (RO). Rotating RO utilizes Taylor vortices, a flow structure in the annulus of the device, that provide increased transport of the water through the RO membrane compared to conventional RO systems. A high pressure rotating RO filter and fluid circuit have been designed and fabricated for use in long term tests. Preliminary results indicate that an increase in the operating pressure by a factor of three can improve the flux by a factor of four while maintaining high rejection of the contaminants.
CitationPederson, C. and Lueptow, R., "High Pressure Rotating Reverse Osmosis for Wastewater Recycling in Long Term Space Missions," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2488, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2488.
- Shaw, L.A. 2004
- Ho, W.S.W. Sirkar K.K. Membrane Handbook 1992 New York Van Nostrand Reinhold 954
- Porter, M.C. Concentration Polarization with Membrane Ultrafiltration Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Product Research and Development 11 234 248 1972
- Hallstrom, B. Lopez-Leiva M. Description of a Rotating Ultrafiltration Module Desalination 24 273 279 1978
- Viadero, R.C. Reed B.E. Rotation and concentration effects in high-shear ultrafiltration Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE 125 638 646 1999
- Schwille, J.A. Mitra D. Lueptow R.M. Design parameters for rotating cylindrical filtration Journal of Membrane Science 204 53 65 2002
- Lee, S. Lueptow R.M. Experimental verification of a model for rotating reverse osmosis Desalination 146 353 359 2002
- Lee, S. Lueptow R.M. Rotating reverse osmosis: a dynamic model for flux and rejection Journal of Membrane Science 192 129 143 2001
- Lee, S. Lueptow R.M. Reverse osmosis filtration for space mission wastewater: membrane properties and operating conditions Journal of Membrane Science 182 77 90 2001
- Gutman, R.G. Membrane filtration : the technology of pressure-driven crossflow processes 1987 Bristol, England A. Hilger 210