This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Temperature and Humidity Control Systems for Microgravity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 19, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Unique challenges arise during the design of temperature and humidity control systems (THCS) for use in microgravity. The design of the Plant Research Unit’s (PRU) THCS builds on the experience gained during the Biomass Production System (BPS) project and extends the understanding of the critical design variables and necessary technical advancements to allow for longer on-orbit operation. Previous systems have been limited by loss of prime, clogging in the porous plates and component reliability. Design of THCSs for long-duration space flight experiments requires the mitigation of these issues as well as a complete understanding of the relevant design variables. In addition to the normal design variables (e.g. mass, power, volume), a complex and interdependent relationship exists between the THCS variables including operational temperature range, operational humidity range, required humidity condensation rate and system air flow.
CitationIverson, J., Crabb, T., Lee, M., and Butrymowicz, B., "Design of Temperature and Humidity Control Systems for Microgravity," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2457, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2457.
- Hapke, J. Ranong, C.N. Brodt K. Tan. G. 2003 Temperature and Humidity Control by Means of a Membrane Based Condensing Heat Exchanger (MCHX) SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-2628
- Hoehn, A. Scovazzo P. 2003 Design, Testing and Operation of Porous Media for Dehumidification and Nutrient Delivery in Microgravity Plant Growth Systems SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-2614
- Iverson, J.T. Crabb, T.M. Morrow R.C. Lee M.C. 2003 Biomass Production System Hardware Performance SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-2484
- Langhans, R.W. Tibbitts T.W. 1997 Plant Growth Chamber Handbook
- Morrow, R.C. Frank, J.G. Stolp K.M. Lee. M.C. 2002 Biomass Production System (BPS) Ground Based Performance Testing SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-2482
- Morrow, R.C. Crabb, T.M. Iverson J.T. Frank. J.G. 2001 Science Accommodations in the Biomass Production System SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-2231
- Morrow, R.C. Crabb. T.M. 1999 Biomass production system (BPS) environmental control subsystem performance SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-2180
- Stutte, G.W. Monje, O. Goins, G.D. Chapman. D.K. 2000 Measurement of Gas Exchange Characteristics of Developing Wheat in the Biomass Production System ICES Technical paper 2000-01-424
- Stutte, G.W. Monje, O. Goins, G.D. Ruffe. L.M. 2001 Evapotranspiration and Photosynthesis Characteristics of Two Wheat Cultivars Measured in the Biomass Production Chamber ICES Technical Paper 2001-01-2180
- Stutte, G.W. Monje, O. Goins, G.D. Chapman. D.K. 2002 Microgravity Effects on Wheat Growth and Photosynthesis: Preliminary Results from the PESTO experiment Grav. Space Biol. Bulletin 16 1 58