This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A 25 Degrees of Freedom Hand Geometrical Model for Better Hand Attitude Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerical models are used more and more to visualize a human operator within a work environment and simulate his movements. Many models are limited in their ability to simulate complex activities like prehension and objects manipulation. The hand models proposed in the literature are relatively simple, especially assuming the palm as a rigid body, which leads to unrealistic representations of complex attitudes.
The objective of the present study is to develop a more advanced hand model, able to properly simulate prehension postures. A 25 degrees of freedom (DOF) hand model has been proposed including 2 DOF for representing the palm arch. Compared to the model without palm arch, the proposed model has made significant improvement of the hand posture representation, suggesting the need of including palm arch for simulating complex hand grasping attitudes.
CitationSavescu, A., Cheze, L., Wang, X., Beurier, G. et al., "A 25 Degrees of Freedom Hand Geometrical Model for Better Hand Attitude Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2196, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2196.
- BUCHHOLZ B. ARMSTRONG T. J A Kinematic model of the human hand to evaluate its prehensile capabilities J. Biomechanics 25 No. 2 149 162 1992
- BUCHOLTZ B. O. A Kinematic model of the human hand to evaluate its prehensile capabilities The University of Michigan 1989
- CHAO E. Y. S. AN K-N. COONEY W. P. III LINSCHEID R. L. Biomechanics of the hand World Scientific 1989
- CHEZE L. DORIOT N. ECKERT M. RUMELHART C. COMTET J.J. Etude cinématique in vivo de l’articulation trapézométacarpienne Chirurgie de la main 2001 20 23 30
- CRAIG J. J. Robotics, Mechanics and control second edition 1989
- GIURIANTO D. J. HOLLISTER A. M. BUFORD W. L. THOMPSON D. E. A virtual five-link model of the thumb Med. Eng. Phys 17 No. 4 297 303 1995
- HOLLISTER A. BUFORD W. L. MYERS L. M. GIURINTANO D. J. NOVICK A. The Axes of Rotation of the Thumb Carpometacarpal Joint Journal of Othopaedic Ressearch 10 454 460 Raven Press 1992
- HORACE I H S. LAM M. S. W. LAW K. C. K. CHAN S.C.S. Animation of hand motion from target posture image using an anatomy-based hierarchical model Computer & Graphics 25 2001 121 133
- HUANG Z. BOULIC R. MAGNENAT THALMANN N. THALMANN D. A multi-sensor approach for grasping and 3D interaction Proc. CGI ’95 Academic press
- KAPANDJI. A. Physiologie articulaire, Tome 1 : Membre supérieur 5 edition Maloine S.A. 1980
- KERR J. ROTH B. Analysis of Multifingered Hands The International Journal of Robotics Research 4 No. 4 1986
- KINOSHITA H. Contributions and co-ordination of individual fingers in multiple finger prehension Ergonomics 38 No. 6 1212 1230 1995
- KUO L.-C. COONEY W. P. III KAUFMAN K. R. CHEN Q.-S. SU F.C. AN K-N. A quantitative method to measure maximal workspace of the trapeziometacarpal joint—normal model development Journal of Orthopaedic Research august 2003
- KUO L.C. SU F.-C. CHIU H.-Y. YU C.-Y. Feasibility of using a video-based motion analysis system for measuring thumb kinematics Journal of Biomechanics 35 2002 149 1506
- LASSAYS F. I. Etude biomécanique 3D d’un implant trapezo-metacarpien à l’aide de techniques d’imagerie médicale, d’éléments finis et de la caractérisation mécanique INSA Lyon France 1996
- LEIJNSE J. N. A. L KALKER J. J. A two – dimensional kinematic model of the lumbrical in the human finger, Journal of Biomecanics 28 3 237 249 1995
- MACKENZIE C. IBERALL T. The Grasping Hand Advances in Psychology 1994
- MAN3D – Mannequin Graphique en 3 Dimensions, Manuel de Référence INRETS/LBMC 69675 Bron, France 2002
- NAPIER J. R. The prehensile movements of the human hand The Journal of Bone an Joint Surgery 38 No. 4 1956
- RASH G. S. BELLIAPPA P. P. WACHOWIK M. P. SOMIA N. N. GUPTA A. A demonstration of the validity of a 3-D video motion analysis method for measuring finger flexion and extension Journal of Biomechanics 1999
- SU F-C. KUO L.-C. CHIU H.-Y. CHEN-SEA M.-J. Video-computer quantitative evaluation of thumb function using workspace of the thumb Journal of Biomechanics January 2003
- TUBIANA R. THOMINE J.-M. MACKIN E. Examination of the hand and wrist Second edition Dunitz Martin 1996
- Verriest J.P. Wang X.G. Trasbot J. Tessier Y. 1994 Application of a 3D human model to computer aided ergonomic design of vehicles Proc. of FISITA’94: “Engineering for Customers” 53 61 Int. Academic Publishers Beijing 1994
- ZHANG X. Determining finger segmental centres of rotation in flexion-extension based on surface marker measurement Journal of Biomechanics 36 2003 1097 1102