This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Seat Sensitivity Study on Vertical Vibrations and Seat Pressure Distributions using Numerical Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The introduction of a new comfortable car seat or interior is a time consuming and costly process for car and seat manufacturers. The application of numerical models of human and seat could facilitate this process. Vertical vibrations and seat pressure distributions are two objective parameters that have been related to the subjective feeling of (dis)comfort that can be predicted by numerical tools.
In this paper, human models suitable for prediction of human behaviour in vertical vibrations and seat pressure distributions are applied in a seat sensitivity study. The objective of this paper is to evaluate the applicability of the human models as design tools for car and seat developers in an early stage of the design process. The sensitivity of the output of the models for variations in seat characteristics for seat developers in the design process of a new comfortable car seat has been studied.
The human models proved to be valuable tools for seat developers in an early stage of the design process. The design study shows that human model behaviour in vertical vibrations is sensitive to variations in cushion and suspension stiffness. Seat pressure distributions are sensitive to variations in cushion thickness and cushion stiffness.
|Technical Paper||Predicting Overall Seating Discomfort Based on Body Area Ratings|
|Technical Paper||Spine Load in the Context of Automotive Seating|
|Technical Paper||An Integrated Design and Appraisal System for Vehicle Interior Packaging|
CitationVerver, M. and van Hoof, J., "A Seat Sensitivity Study on Vertical Vibrations and Seat Pressure Distributions using Numerical Models," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2142, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2142.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Aerospace
Number: V113-1; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-1; Published: 2005-07-05
- Ahmadian, M. Seigler, T.M. Clapper D. Sprouse, A. Alternative test methods for long term dynamic effects of vehicle seats SAE Conference 2002, SAE no 2002-01-3082 2002
- Bader, D.L. Hawken, M.B. 1990 Ischial pressure distribution under the seated person In: Pressure Sores - Clinical Practice and Scientific Approach Bader D.L. 223 233
- Ebe K. Griffin, M.J. 2001 Factors effecting static and seat cushion comfort Ergonomics 41 10 901 921
- Griffin, M.J. Handbook of Human Vibration Academic Press London 0-12-303040-4 1990
- Inagaki H. Taguchi, T. Yasuda, E. Iizuka, Y. 2000 Evaluation of riding comfort: from the viewpoint of interaction of human body and seat for static, dynamic and long time driving SAE Conference 2000, SAE no 2000-01-0643
- Mechanical vibration and shock - Evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration General requirements 1997
- Kamijo K. Tsujimura, H. Obara, H. Katsumata, M. 1982 Evaluation of seating comfort SAE Conference 1982, no 820761
- Lee, J. Grohs, T. Milosic, M. 1995 Evaluation of objective measurement techniques for automotive seat comfort SAE Conference 1995, SAE no 950142
- Milvojevich, A. Stanciu, R. Russ, A. Blair, G.R. van Heumen, J.D. 2000 Investigating psychometric and body pressure distribution responses to automotive seating comfort SAE Conference 2000, SAE no 2000-01-0626
- Park S.J. Kim, C.B. 1997 The evaluation of seating comfort by objective measures SAE Conference 1997, 970595
- Park, S.J. Lee, Y.S. Nahm, Y.E. Lee, J.W. Kim, J.S. 1998 Seating physical characteristics and subjective comfort: design considerations SAE Conference, SAE no 980653
- Reed M.P. Saito, M. Kakishima, Y. Lee, N.S. Schneider, L.W. 1991 An investigation of driver discomfort and related seat design factors in extended-duration driving SAE Conference 1991, SAE no 910117
- Tewari, V.K. Prasad, N. 2000 Optimum seat pan and back-rest parameters for a comfortable tractor seat Ergonomics 43 2 167 186
- Thakurta, K. Koester, D. Bush, N. Bachle, S. 1995 Evaluating short and long term seating comfort SAE Conference 1995, SAE no. 950144
- TNO Automotive 2001 MADYMO 6.0 Theory Manual
- TNO Automotive 2001 Manual: MADYMO Human body models
- Uenishi, K. Fujihashi, K. Imai, H. 2000 A seat ride evaluation method for transient vibrations SAE Conference 2000, SAE no 2000-01-0641
- Verver, M.M. van Hoof, J. 2003 Development of a FEM pelvis model for analysis of pressure distributions Proceedings of the 2003 Digital Human Modeling Conference Montreal (Canada) SAE number 03DHM-34
- Verver, M.M. van Hoof, J. 2002 Vibration analysis with MADYMO human models Proceedings of the 2002 Digital Human Modeling Conference Munich (Germany) 1675 447 456 2002
- Verver, M.M. 2004 Numerical tools for comfort analyses of automotive seating Eindhoven University of Technology 90-386-2855-2
- Yun, M.H. Donges, L. Freivalds, A. 1992 Using force sensitive resistors to evaluate the driver seating comfort Advances in Industrial Ergonomics and Safety IV 403 410
- Zhao, L.Q. Xia, Q.S. Wu, X.T. 1994 Study of sitting comfort of automotive seats SAE Conference 1994, SAE no 945243