This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Expanding the HCCI Operation With the Charge Stratification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A single cylinder CFR research engine has been run in HCCI combustion mode at the rich and the lean limits of the homogeneous charge operating range. To achieve a variation of the degree of charge stratification, two GDI injectors were installed: one was used for generating a homogeneous mixture in the intake system, and the other was mounted directly into the side of the combustion chamber. At the lean limit of the operating range, stratification showed a tremendous improvement in IMEP and emissions. At the rich limit, however, the stratification was limited by the high-pressure rise rate and high CO and NOx emissions. In this experiment the location of the DI injector was in such a position that the operating range that could be investigated was limited due to liquid fuel impingement onto the piston and liner.
- Tanet Aroonsrisopon - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Philipp Werner - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- John O. Waldman - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Volker Sohm - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- David E. Foster - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Takeshi Morikawa - Yamaha Motor Company, Ltd.
- Minoru Iida - Yamaha Motor Company, Ltd.
CitationAroonsrisopon, T., Werner, P., Waldman, J., Sohm, V. et al., "Expanding the HCCI Operation With the Charge Stratification," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1756, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1756.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2004
Number: SP-1819; Published: 2004-03-08
Number: SP-1819; Published: 2004-03-08
- Najt, P. M. Foster, D. E. “Compression-ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE Technical Paper, No. 830246 1983
- Aroonsrisopon, T. “An Experimental Investigation of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Operating Range and Engine Performance with Different Fuels” Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2002
- Aroonsrisopon, T. Morikawa, T. Iida, M. Foster, D. E. “Comparison of HCCI Operating Ranges for Combinations of Intake Temperature, Engine Speed and Fuel Composition” 2002 Future Car Congress
- Hayashi, M. “The Effect of Charge Thermodynamics on Performance and Autoignition on a HCCI Engine” Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2000
- Iida, M. Hayashi, M. Foster, D.E. Martin, J. “Properties of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine with n-Butane Fuel” ASME Journal for Gas Turbine and Power 2002
- Werner, P. “Impact of Fuel Composition and Charge Stratification on HCCI Combustion” Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2003
- Christensen, M. Hultquist, A. Johansson, B. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE Technical Paper, No. 1999-01-3679 1999
- Christensen M. Johansson, B. “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE Technical Paper, No. 982454 1998
- Aceves S. M. et al. “A Multi-zone Model for Prediction of HCCI Combustion and Emissions” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-0327 2000
- Noda, T. Foster, D. “A Numerical Study to Control Combustion Duration of Hydrogen-fueled HCCI by Using Multi-zone Chemical Kinetics Simulation” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-0250 2001
- Richter M. et al. “The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-2868 2000
- Dec, J. E. Sjöberg, M. “A Parametric Study of HCCI Combustion - the Sources of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effects of GDI Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2003-01-0752 2003
- Sohm, V. “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of HCCI using Comprehensive and Skeletal Kinetics with Comparison to Experiments” Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2003
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. 0-07-028637-X 1988