This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuzzy Logic-Based Smart Battery State-of-Charge (SOC) Monitor for Automotive Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive start, light, ignition (SLI) lead acid batteries used in tanks are prone to capacity loss due to low temperatures, self-discharge, sulfation and shorting of plates. Monitoring and charge control of these batteries can be improved by using the concept of a smart battery system (SBS). In a SBS, battery data from sensors embedded in the battery package are acquired by a smart battery controller which processes this data, and transmits charge control information, to a central processor for effecting control actions over a controller area network (CAN) bus.
Smart battery circuitry has been designed, developed and implemented to monitor the SOC of a 12V automotive lead acid battery used in tanks. The hardware comprises ac impedance measuring hardware interfaced to a Motorola 68HC12 microcontroller with a built-in CAN controller interface. The SOC estimation algorithms are based on a fuzzy logic model that is directly implemented into the Motorola 68HC12 microcontroller. Details of the hardware and fuzzy logic model design will be presented.
CitationPulamarasetty, C., Singh, P., Chen, H., Wang, X. et al., "Fuzzy Logic-Based Smart Battery State-of-Charge (SOC) Monitor for Automotive Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1584, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1584.
- Singh P. Fennie, C. Jr. “A Method for Determining Battery State-of-Charge Using Intelligent Systems,” U.S. Patent No. 6,011,379 Jan 4 2000
- Fennie C. Singh P. Reisner D.E. “A Method for Determining Battery State-of-Health Using Intelligent Systems,” U.S. Patent No. 6,456,988 September 24 2002
- Chen H. Singh P. Wang X. Reisner D. “Fuzzy Logic-Based Smart Battery SOC Monitor for SLI Batts.,” Procs. 40 th Power Sources Conf. Cherry Hill, NJ Jun 10-13 2002 459 462
- Singh P. Damodar Y.S. Fennie C. Reisner D.E. “Fuzzy Logic-Based Determination of Lead Acid Battery State-of-Charge by Impedance Interrogation Methods” Procs. EVS-17 Montreal, Canada Oct 15-18 2000
- The Mathworks, Inc. www.mathworks.com