This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SI-Engine Cylinder Pressure Estimation using Torque Sensors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to maximise engine efficiency it is of interest to find the peak pressure position (PPP) of the cylinder pressure when controlling combustion engines. Cylinder mounted pressure sensors can be used to measure the pressure, but these are expensive and suffer from limited durability. Alternative pressure estimation methods using cheaper and more durable sensors are needed.
This paper shows the performance when estimating the cylinder pressure of a five cylinder SI-engine using a crankshaft integrated torque sensor. An engine model is constructed to be able to eliminate the torsional resonances in the sensed torque signal and the cylinder pressure is reconstructed using a parameterised pressure model. The performance of the estimator is studied in three different simulation cases. Finally, the performance based on measured torque is presented.
|Investigations on the Start-Up Process of a DISI Engine
|Peak Pressure Position Estimation from Structure-Borne Sound
|Engine Misfire Monitoring for a V12 Engine by Exhaust Pressure Analysis
CitationLarsson, S. and Schagerberg, S., "SI-Engine Cylinder Pressure Estimation using Torque Sensors," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1369, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1369.
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1998
- Powell J. D. Engine control using cylinder pressure: Past, present and future Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 1993
- Eriksson L. Spark advance for optimal efficiency SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-0548 1999
- Guezennec Y. G. Gyan P. A novel approach to real-time estimation of the individual cylinder combustion pressure for s.i. engine control SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-0209 1999
- Moudden Y. Seghouane A-K. Olivier B. Extraction of peak pressure position information from the spark-plug ionization signal IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications July 2001
- Taraza D. Possibilities to reconstruct indicator diagrams by analysis of the angular motion of the crankshaft SAE Technical Paper Series 932414 1996
- Eriksson L. Spark Advance Modeling and Control Division of vehicular systems, Deparment of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University SE-581 83, Sweden 1999
- Andersson I. Cylinder Pressure and Ionization Current Modeling for Spark Ignited Engines Technical report Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University SE-581 83 Linköping, Sweden 2002
- Schagerberg S. McKelvey T. Instantaneous crankshaft torque measurements - modeling and validation SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-0713 2003
- Sobel J. R. Jeremiasson J. Wallin C. Instantaneous crankshaft torque measurement in cars SAE Technical Paper Series 960040 1996
- Eriksson L. Andersson I. An analytic model for cylinder pressure in a four stroke SI-Engine SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-0371 2002
- Roberts J. B. Peyton Jones J. C. Landsborough K. J. Cylinder pressure variations as a stochastic process SAE Technical Paper Series 970059 1997
- Ball J. K. Bowe M. J. Stone C. R. McFadden P. D. Torque estimation and misfire detection using block angular acceleration SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-0560 2000
- Schagerberg S. Torque Sensors for Engine Applications Technical report Department of Signals and Systems, Chalmers University of Technology SE-412 96 Göteborg, Sweden 2003
- Larsson S. SI-Engine spark advance control using torque sensors Technical report Department of Signals and Systems, Chalmers University of Technology SE-412 96 Göteborg, Sweden 2003
- Larsson S. Egardt B. SI-Engine spark advance control using torque sensors IFAC Advances in Automotive Control Salerno Italy April 2004