This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Thermal and Heat Transfer Phenomenon in Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Alloy 6061-T6 Thick Plates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the friction stir welding (FSW) process, heat is generated by friction between the interfaces between the tool and the workpiece. The amount of heat conducted into the workpiece determines the quality of the weld. In this paper, 37.6 mm (1.48 inch) thick plates made of aluminum alloy 6061-T6 were welded using the FSW process. We report (a) welding parameters such as tool RPM, welding speeds, (b) power and heat input to the welding process, (c) a complete temperature history from 27 thermocouples. Data are reported for one weld with a full-length pin and two welds with a short pin. In conjunction with the measurement, finite element analyses were also performed to study (1) the heat inputs from the tool shoulder as well as from the probe pin, and (2) temperature distribution and history in the workpiece. The analysis results are also compared with the measured data.
CitationLiu, S., Chao, Y., and Chien, C., "Study of Thermal and Heat Transfer Phenomenon in Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Alloy 6061-T6 Thick Plates," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1328, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1328.
- Tang, W. Guo, X. McClure, J.C. Murr, L.E. Nunes, A. “Heat Input and Temperature Distribution in Friction Stir Welding” Journal of Materials Processing and Manufacturing Science 7 2 163 172 1998
- McClure, J.C. Tang, T. Murr, L.E. Guo, X. Feng, Z. “A Thermal Model of Friction Stir welding” Trends in Welding Research Vitek J.M. et al. Proceedings of the 5 th International Conference Pine Mountain, GA 590 595 June 1-5 1998
- Gould, Jerry E. Feng, Zhili “Heat flow model for friction stir welding of aluminum alloys” Journal of Materials Processing & Manufacturing Science 7 185 194 Oct. 1998
- Chao, Y.J. Qi, Xinhai “Thermal and thermo-mechnical modeling of friction stir welding of aluminum alloy 6061-T6 Journal of Materials Processing & Manufacturing Science 7 215 233 Oct 1998
- Colegrove, P. Painter, M. Graham, D. Miller, T. “3 Dimensional Flow and Thermal Modeling of the Friction Stir Welding Process” 2 nd International Symposium on Friction Stir Welding Gothenburg, Sweden 26 28 June 2002
- Song, M. Kovacevic, R. “A New Heat Transfer Model for Friction Stir Welding” Transactions of North America Manufacturing and Research Institute Society of Manufacturing Engineering XXX 565 572 2002
- Seidel, T.U. “The development of a friction stir welding process model using computational fluid dynamics” Univ. of South Carolina SC 2001
- Xu, S. Deng, X. “A three-dimentional model for the friction-stir welding process” Transaction of NAMRI/SME XXIX Society of Manufacturing Engineers 631 638 2001
- Khandkar, M. Khan, J. Reynold, A. “A Thermal model of the friction stir welding process” Proceedings of IMECE' 02, International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exhibition 17 22 Nov. 2002
- Chao, Y. J. Qi, X. Tang, W. Heat transfer in friction stir welding - experimental and numerical studies ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 125 138 145 Feb. 2003
- Chao, Y.J. Zhu, X. Qi, X. “WELSIM - A WELDing SIMulation Code for the Determination of Transient and Residual Temperature, Stress, and Distortion,” Advances in Computational Engineering and Science II Atluri, S.N. Brust, F. W. 1207 1211 2000
- Chao, Y.J. Qi, X. “Three-Dimensional Modeling of Gas Metal Arc Welding Process,” Transactions of North America Manufacturing Research Institute/Society of Manufacturing Engineering (NAMRI/SME) 117 122 1999
- Chao, Y.J. Qi, X. “Thermal and Thermo-Mechanical Modeling of Friction Stir Welding Process,” Journal of Materials Processing and Manufacturing Science 7 2 215 233 1998
- Metals Handbook 10th 2 103 1990