This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trailer Stabilization Through Active Braking of the Towing Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the rationale for, and development of, a towing vehicle based active brake control algorithm which assists drivers in the case of an oscillatory instability in a car-trailer system. As part of the rationale, this paper will discuss briefly the challenges the driver faces when loading and equipping the trailer, the factors which attribute to instabilities, and the current technology available to assist the driver of a car-trailer system. This paper will also review the Development Process of the algorithm which included Software in the Loop (SIL) simulation and Rapid Prototyping (RP) techniques. SIL and RP results prove the validity of a towing vehicle based active braking algorithm for stabilizing a trailer.
CitationWilliams, J. and Mohn, F., "Trailer Stabilization Through Active Braking of the Towing Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1069, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1069.
- Bundrof R. T., “Directional Control Dynamics of Automobile- Travel Trailer Combinations”, SAE Paper 670099, 1967
- Anderson, R. J., Kurtz, E. F., “Handling Characteristics Simulations of Car-trailer Systems” SAE paper 800545, 1980
- Bevan, B. G., Smith, N. P., and Ashley, C., “Some Factors Influencing the Stability of Car/Caravan Combinations”, I. Mech. E. Conf. Publ 1983-5. MEP, London, 221-227, 1983
- Taylor, D., “Nonlinear Stability and Response of Car-Trailer Combinations” SAE-Paper: 800152, 1980
- Sanyal, A., Karmakar R., “Directional Stability of Vehicle Trailer System”, Institute of Vehicle Design 1995 vol 2, 1995
- Fragilita, D., Darling, J., “Improvements to Car/Caravan Handling and High Speed Stability Through Computer Simulation”, ASME Paper 95-WA/MET-9, 1995
- Redelinghuys, C., “A study of the Performance of the Performance and Stability of Articulated Towing Vehicle and Boat Trailer Combinations”, Proc. 16th IAVSD-Symposium, 1999
- Lugner, P., Ploechl, M., Reipl, A., “Investigation of Passenger Car-Trailer Dynamic Controlled by Additional Braking of the Trailer”, AVEC 96 International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, vol. 2, 1996
- Ploechl, M., Lugner, P., Reipl, A., “Improvements of Passenger Car-Trailer Behavior by a Trailer Based Control System”, Proc. 15th IAVSD-Symposium, 1998
- Alonso Fernandez, M. A., Sharp, R. S., “Caravan Active Braking System-Effective Stabilisation of Snaking of Combination Vehicles”, SAE Paper 2001-01-3188, 2001
- Dauth, K., “Weltpremiere: Elch-Test mit dem Trailer”, Boote vol. 3 pp116-120, 2000
- Fischer, G., Heyken, R., und Trächter A., “Aktive Gespannstabilisierung beim X5: eine Weiterentwicklung der Fahrdynamicregulung DSC”, ATZ 2002 vol. 104 pp 330-9, 2002
- Dauth, K., “Schlingerdämpfer”, Boote vol. 10 pp110-114, 2000
- Yan, Q. Williams, J., Li, J., “Chassis Control System Development Using Simulation: Software in the Loop, Rapid Prototyping, and Hardware in the Loop”, SAE Paper:2001-01-1565, 2001
- Gillespie Thomas D., Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, 1st Edition, SAE Society of Automotive Engineers, 1992
- Bakker, E and Pacejka, H.B. “The magic formula tyre model”, Tyre Models for Vehicle Dynamics Analysis, pages 1-18. Swets & Zeitlinger, 1991