This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of Modal Mass Analysis with Analyzer Hardware Optimizations and Mathematically Enhanced Response Time
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Continuous measurement of dilute exhaust gas from the CVS system, which provides gas concentrations proportional to the mass of emissions, is widely used for modal mass analysis of exhaust emission. Recently, exhaust gas flow rate measurement devices have become commercially available. Cost-effective raw exhaust modal mass analysis will be feasible with a combination of the new exhaust gas flow meters and fast response gas analyzers.
In this paper, the benefits of raw exhaust modal mass measurement and the impacts of response time for the gas analyzer on the accuracy of exhaust mass calculations are discussed. Gas analyzer system with enhanced speed of response has been developed by hardware modification applied to the existing conventional bench system. De-convolution or inverse digital filter techniques that compensate the delay in the exhaust sampling system and the gas analyzer are described with comparisons to the hardware modifications. In addition, a newly developed optimization procedure for the inverse filter parameters to improve the response time is also described.
CitationAsano, I., Nakamura, H., Miyai, M., Adachi, M. et al., "Improvement of Modal Mass Analysis with Analyzer Hardware Optimizations and Mathematically Enhanced Response Time," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0970, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0970.
- Inoue, K. et al. Numerical Analysis of Mass Emission Measurement Systems for Low Emission Vehicles SAE Paper 1999-01-0150
- Collings, N. et al. Cyclically Resolved HC Emissions from Spark Ignition Engine SAE 871691
- Miyatake, K. et al. Fast Response NDIR for Real-Time Exhaust Measurement SAE Paper 900501
- ISO Standard “Heavy duty engines - Measurement of gaseous emissions from raw exhaust gas and of particulate emissions using partial flow dilution systems under transient test conditions” 2002
- Hosoi, K. Calculation method of exhaust mass emissions by using Tail-pipe gas at transient mode Automobile Research 22 4 2000