This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Permeation Comparisons for Elastomeric Engine Sealing Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will discuss the background and concerns over the permeation of elastomer seals. Comparisons will be made between the permeation of materials and the permeation of components. Specific configurations used will be discussed in relation to test methodology and how it relates to sealing applications. It will show how the results of gravimetric weight loss tests compare to results obtained by speciation and mini-SHED testing. It will provide a perspective of the importance of developing good techniques to measure permeation, and how it is useful to validate procedures across test methods and understand what is happening, rather than just “running the test”.
CitationTuckner, P., "Permeation Comparisons for Elastomeric Engine Sealing Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0869, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0869.
- Tuckner P., Baker J. Fuel Permeation Testing using Gravimetric Methods SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1096 (2000)
- Tuckner P., Permeation Testing, Configurations, Methods and Correlations SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1126 (2001)
- California Air Resources Board, http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/levprog/levprog.htm
- Code of Federal Regulations, 40 CFR, Sections 86.130-78 to 86.143-90.
- Nulman M., Olejnik A., Samus M., Fead E., and Rossi G., Fuel Permeation Performance of Polymeric Materials Analyzed by Gas Chromatography and Sorption Techniques, SAE Technical Paper 981360 (1998)
- Ford Laboratory Test Method BZ 105-05, Determination of Speciated Permeation Rates for Polymers, Activated 2002-05-06
- SAE J2659, Test Method to Measure Fluid Permeation of Polymeric Materials by Speciation, 2003
- Ford Central Laboratories, 1500 Century Drive, Dearborn, MI 48120-1267
- Test Services Group (TSG), 838 Whitney Drive, Lapeer, MI 48446